Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Speedwork comeback

9 x 500m, 1 min Standing Recovery - 112, 36, 113, 29, 111, 29, 111, 41, 112, 31, 108, 33, 111, 29, 111, 26, 108 - Avg 5000's - 110.77 secs, Avg SR's 31.75 secs

It was with enormous relief that I got through my comeback speedwork session unscathed, hardly feeling any discomfort at all. It was a cracker of a session under the Story Bridge with Slash and Langy setting a torrid pace up front closely followed by Phil, Scotty and Glenda - top stuff guys!!!! Alas, I eased back into the fast stuff conservatively running at around 80% effort with my 110.77 second average for the 500's being well outside my PB of 95 seconds for this session. However, to ensure I had a good blow, I started each rep with the A-Team and that cut my recovery time almost in half and ensured a good cardio vascular workout. Whilst my team mates took it easy in the warm down after their efforts, I ran at a brisk pace back to the Ship Inn to continue the cardio workout. Am definitely a happy boy right now - Noosa, here I come!!! I was not the only one returning to speedwork today with Davo also back, complete with a specially fitted compression bandage/glove on his arm after a kitchen cooking oil accident. Davo's long awaited comeback will definitely strengthen the squad.

Moving onto the quirky, I had a rather unsual drama last night. Whilst shaving with my right hand, I reached up to scratch my sideburn and proceeded to nick my right earlobe with the razor, drawing plenty of blood in the process!! In what was clearly my second worst ever shaving cut, I had to stem the flow of blood with vaseline and then patch it up with cotton wool and elastoplast tape so I could get to bed without staining the sheets. And in a case of bad timing of the highest magnitude, the incident occured the night before my annual hearing test during which I am required to clamp headphones to my ears!!! Fortunately the test went well, with the audiologist agreeing to wear gloves and saving me the time and expense of a rescheduled test. And my worst shaving cut? Definitely one morning when in Grade 12, when I was running late for roll call as usual and in my haste, proceeded to commit the cardinal sin of shaving across my top lip. Gees, I would have lost a litre of blood that day - dashing off to class with a roll of toilet paper in my bag and holding toilet paper to my bleeding upper lip till well after lunch!! Aaaah, the memories!!

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Ah Matty, I liked the killer magpie theory better for the cut ear. However that Grade 12 tale is a corker :-)

Well done this morning. Its so good to have you around at Pat's - every time you scream encouragement when you run by I reckon I crank it up at least one gear.

And I have to agree, its great to have young Davo back. I loved his story about being given doctors orders to never cook again!