Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Barry Crocker!!

2 x 2k, 1 x1k, 1:30min Standing Recovery - 7:26, 90, 7:38, 90, 3:45

The Group had one of those days where despite the best intentions, things just didn't quite go right. Slash expressed concerns with a sore calf prior to training and with Rottnest a few weeks away was clearly in a dilemma as to whether to run hard or easy. After doing two strong 2k reps, Slash then eased himself home after a bit of a flareup - hope all is ok, Mate! Langy ran an excellent session but was just a little disappointed afterward as the brisk headwind and a not quite complete training base deprived him of grasping what could have been some outstanding times. Still, an average of 7:04's for the 2k's is top stuff, Mate! I arrived at West End with the intention of running at 90% effort, but after the first rep, it was clear that my body was unable to run at 90% pace without using more than 90% effort. I was feeling a little depleted and in hindsight, I didn't eat enough yesterday and my muscles are still a tad sore from the comeback session on Tuesday. So, after a solid first rep of 7:26, I eased of just a little but still ran at a brisk enough pace to get the blood circulating and finished the session without any signs of shin soreness. Allyson then provided the final Barry Crocker touch of the morning taking a tumble as we exited Kurilpa Park and hit the South Bank Boardwalk. Fortunately, only her pride was hurt :)

I then went home and had a 90 minute snooze. Prior to my running life, I used to get down on myself when doing this, but now I congratulate myself on giving my body some extra recovery time.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm glad to hear that your shins were happy with today's session (even if you weren't).

And yes, now being a runner gives you a very good excuse for those naps ;-)

J.