Thursday, September 01, 2005

A flu with bigger punch that Ali

Returned to work yesterday after missing 2.5 days of work and it was not a good move. My corner of the building is known as the "Icebox". As a runner now accustomed to training in a singlet at 6am in the middle of winter, I normally smirk at my shivering colleagues wrapping themselves in warm clothes whilst I work comfortably in just a business shirt and slacks. I was not smirking yesterday as I shivered uncontrollaby despite wearing a jumper and later adding a jacket to go with the aforementioned attire. By the end of the day, I was a mess, with a freely running nose and watery eyes. Thankfully, I will not have to be in the office again till Saturday.

I battled the watery eyes and runny nose whilst trying to get to sleep last night and then slept for 11 hours. This morning, I am still well short of 100% and not a happy man after missing another speedwork session. I can't remember the last time I had the flu for this long and am beginning to think that I must have picked up a second flu that blended in seamlessly with the first one.

Four consecutive training sessions have been now been missed and the River Run on 18/9 has now been axed from my race schedule. On the bright side, I've hopefully got the annual flu out of the way well before the all important Noosa Tri 10k run leg. Even better, winter has ended and as I look outside at the sun beating relentlessly down on the browning grass of my backyard, its warmth fills the cockles of my heart. Its Spring! Which means we are one season closer to Summer! You beauty! "I love a sunburnt country............."

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I hear ya, my hopes of a new 10km PB at river-run have been put away till next year now - still, want doesnt kill ya makes ya stronger and I'm sure this applies to you more than most people :)