Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A jog at speedwork

15 mins of 30 secs fast, 30 secs jogging recovery

After pulling up sore on Sunday there was doubt in my mind that I would be able to run this morning, let alone run at a decent pace. I told MJ last night that there was a 40% chance that I would not make it to speedwork at all, if the legs didn't feel right upon awakening. I was slow getting out of bed in the morning and for just a millisecond, contemplated sleeping in and giving the legs additional rest. However, I stuck to the plan of testing the legs with a short jog down the road. 400 metres later, the right shin felt good and the left just a little niggly and I pronounced myself fit to train. Soon after, I jumped into the car with a heated gel pack taped to my left shin with electrical tape to give it every opportunity to warm up before further running. This worked well and my left shin felt much better after arriving at South Bank and jogging to the Ship Inn. I will make this a regular feature of my pre training rituals.

Arriving late at the Story Bridge, I joined the rest of the group after having covered the three k's with little discomfort. Whilst the rest of the group alternated fast 30 sec efforts with jogging recoveries, I just did a one paced session of running for 15 minutes at five min per k pace with every one overtaking me whilst running fast and me overtaking them whilst they did JR's. I then wrapped up the morning continuing back to the Ship Inn with little discomfort.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Good on ya for being so sensible about the shins Matty. Hopefully its just a really minor setback.