Friday, October 28, 2005

Enforced rest day

I woke up with discomfort in the shins and after a few hours of intermittent discomfort, I canned today's scheduled 50 min recovery run. It was clearly the right thing to do and evidenced by the massage I received at noon. Bruno was not happy with what he felt and gave me a good bashing and for the first time in a while tattooed his calling card of four suction cup marks on my glutes. Even though I ran well short of my top speed at speedwork on Tuesday and Thursday, I can't have allowed enough recovery time after my two races in 36 hours last week.

Had a long talk with Bruno about my impending experiment of switching to treadmill running and I've decided to start immediately with perhaps one to two runs on the tready next week, before steadily working my way up to more frequent tready running, pending the results.

1 comment:

Clairie said...

Hi Matty,

I actually like running on the treadmill. I do it about 3 times a week. Not for too long though as I get into my marathon build up phase I will be doing my Wed run of up to 20km on the tready. Boring I know but needs to be done and I can certainly feel the difference of the softer ground beneath me.

Also in runners world it says you get stronger legs from running on treadys/soft ground as you have to work harder to kick off.

I think it will do you the world of good to get close with a tready for a while as your shins don't seem to be leaving you in peace!!