Friday, October 21, 2005

Brisbane Running Group 3K Challenge

3k - 10:51 - 37th, 5k warmup, 2 k warmdown

Coach Pat's concept of a Brisbane Running Group challenge came to fruition tonight with a good turnout of 15o + runners turning up at the Ship Inn for the run out to the starting point at Riverside Drive, West End. With a 5k run leg in the Bribie Tri on Sunday I had to leave some petrol in the tank and not push the shins too hard so they would be able to back up in 36 hours. Also, I was conscious of my new plan to run fewer efforts at faster than 3:50 pace.

Oops, I got a bit carried away amongst the tide of humanity streaming down Riverside Drive as dusk embraced the city - a 3:32 first k was the result! That was followed by a 3:43 as I concentrated hard on a smooth and economical leg turnover whilst avoiding overstriding. I was really surprised that my cardio fitness was so good that I was able to maintain a controlled leg turnover whilst running a 3:34 last k and not losing my stride. Very happy with my fitness there - running an easy 10:51 with plenty of petrol in the tank at the end and after about 10 seconds my heart rate was almost back to normal. My brother Adam ran for the Run Inn after being persuaded by Schulzy to do so. He ran a hard race for 33th place in 10:20ish. Good to see some more speed in the family - but you won't be winning our $50 bet for the fastest 10k time between us, Mate!!

The Regatta runners triumphed taking out the inagurual trophy which surprised me as I thought the Pat Carrollers had the most depth. Never fear, with myself, Tesso, Clairie and Davo hopefully able to run at top speed next time coupled with absentees Jodie, Andy, Eckers and Aaron running for us, I'm confident we'll prevail next time!!

No comments: