Wednesday, May 31, 2006

INDEFINITE alcohol ban!!

So it has come to this....with five months of ill health behind me, its now time for desperate measures! Pills, drastic hygiene improvements and sensible eating have not delivered results and its time to confront some stark realities and see how much I am really committed to my running career. Starting Monday(two days ago), I will not consume alcohol until I have successfully strung together 12 weeks of training without getting ill and without missing sessions. This means that if I get sick 10 weeks from now and miss some sessions, then I start all over again, perish the thought!

Why this option? CR's Vat Man has to take most of the credit - He suffered similar probs last year and put aside his love of a drink to hop on the wagon, where he has remained for four months. His payday came two weeks ago with a low 79 in the SMH Half and right now, I'd kill for that time! Thanks for the recent advice and encouragement, Vat. I owe you a mineral water :)

Obviously, there is no guarantee that this period of sobriety will deliver results, but regardless its a sensible thing to do and at the very least, I'll get some interesting feedback on how my body reacts that I will enter into my trusty logbook.

I have taken a month off drinking annually for the past five years, so I've proven to myself that I can do this and there is no question that I will succeed. Besides, I've always had it in my mind to drastically reduce or eliminate my drinking when I got closer to elite status. I guess you could say that fate has intervened and fast tracked my committment to sacrificing the good life for my running.

Well, here we go!! Another journey begins......

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Love to join you in the whole alcohol free thing but there's only room on that wagon for you and Vat. Bummer ;-)

vat_man said...

ood luck, Matt - hope it works. It's done wonders for me on the health front, and I can't say I miss the 6-7 kilos I've dropped since I put the turps on hold. Gotta be worth a try!

Chelle said...

Good luck Matty. Giving up the grog wont be as hard as you think I reckon, its a pity you won't reward yourself with the great GC run I'm sure you'll do at the Formal Dinner, but other than that, I think its a great idea.

Robert Song said...

Are sure Vat Man is not just taken the piss out you?

Seriously, not a big drinker myself. Maybe a mantra like "When you're boozing, you're losing" may help in times of temptation.