Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A new low

What would have been an otherwise enjoyable weekend in Warwick for the Pentath Run on the Weekend was spoilt somewhat by yet another cold that I picked up. Unlike others this year, his one featured a bad cough, a heavily blocked and runny nose whilst my body was devoid of any energy. There was lots of sleeping over the weekend in between reporting on the five races for R4YL. As I write on Tuesday night, the cold is only just going away. I made a highly ambitious attempt to go for a run at midday today but threw in the towel after 200m as the body was simply not ready for it yet - a brisk 30 minute walk in glorious sunshine was no consolation.

A glance through my logbook when I got home told the depressing story - this was my ninth(9th) seperate cold/virus/illness that I have contracted in the five months to date this year, leading to a total of 23 days of missed training.....Right now, I don't know where to go next - if I get sick again in the next month or two, desperate measures will be called for such as a detox or naturopath visit.

In the meantime, I'm about to leave for a long awaited RV road trip with three of my oldest mates, Lacho, RooBoy and Big Fella who I've known since we were placed in the first day of grade 8 together at De La Salle College in 1988. Its been organised for Lacho's return to the country after some time in the UK and should be special. We leave at 8 on Wednesday morning and drive non stop to Seventeen Seventy(1770) where we will watch the State of Origin at a pub(Go Maroons!!!!) The rest of the trip will be spontaneous and we could end up doing things like deep sea fishing charters or partying at Airlie Beach!!!

Orginally, I was going to fit in the trip activities around all my training, but now I'm doing the opposite. I'm gonna get smashed. Will let the pressure valve of training blow off and get stuck back into it with a vengeance from next Tuesday.

May blog briefly from an internet cafe in Paradise! Have a good week everyone - I will!!!

PS - Don't read the Mooloolaba 5k Race Report in the latest R4YL. The editor got a little careless and their a quite a few mistakes in there! Not my fault!!

4 comments:

Superflake said...

Matty have you read vat_mans blog at all. He was getting colds last year every 6 weeks. He decided in Jan this year to stop drinking and hasn't had a cold or drink since. Worth a thought maybe? Anything to get you onto the top 100 list hey?

vat_man said...

'flake took the words right out of my mouth. You seem to have fallen into a very similar pattern to the one I followed post-flu last year. Might be worth a read of my blog from late July/early August onward, as I got in a cycle of getting crook every 5 to 6 weeks, making progress all but impossible.

I saw an allergist in January who was of the opinion that the cycle was related to antibodies from the flu remaining in my throat causing the body to react to anything it considered a threat - and the effects of alcohol was something they were interpreting as threat.

I gave the turps up at the end of January and have not been sick since - managed to fight one bug off a couple of months ago.

Might be worth considering.

Tesso said...

Gees Matty, I was gonna say that red wine kills germs.

Enjoy 1770. I've never been there but would love to see the place. Hope you get some piccies to share with your fellow bloggers.

Take care.

Chelle said...

I wouldnt say either detox or naturopath are drastic measures, especially if it works. I've done several proper detoxs and a couple of mini semi-serious ones over the past 4 years. Be warned though, the first time you do it (properly) it can really throw you out, so if you're feeling under the weather already its probably not the best time. Would definitely consider it for the future though.