Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Good news... Its the flu!!!

Normally, a flu is not a cause for celebration and this one certainly isn't but I won't deny that I was relieved when this one hit me late on Sunday. It confirmed my suspicion from Saturday morning that a flu was on the way when my shin soreness forced my to cut short a run. Whilst its not ideal to get the flu period, it does mean that both of my last two breakdowns were flu related and not related to gait problems or other running problems. I did not run today and expect to be back into it on Thursday. Cutting short a long run and missing a Tuesday run will set me back about 7-10 days, but I still have to get through Thurday's run first.

I will also address the question of whether I am getting the flu too frequently - this is the second time already this year. Right now, I'm obviously not superfit and I can't really say that my immune system is being flattened by heavy training. My brother Adam suggested tonight that perhaps the hygiene control at SportsCentre is lacking in attention... Whilst my joint is far tidier than most bachelor pads and has never been described as messy, whether it is 'clean' is another matter. For example, the hardwood floors are lucky to get swept and mopped once a year, the kitchen bench may see Spray & Wipe once or twice a week and the sink is usually half full..... of dirty dishes and potato peels(but will eventually be cleaned!!). Does anyone think this is a serious hygiene issue that could increase my chances of contracting the flu or are those hygiene freaks that lecture everyone just victims of a scare campaign from detergent companies to sell their products??

Km's this week - o
Km's this month - 49
Km's this year - 272

2 comments:

Chelle said...

once a year... are you serious?!?! :)

Tesso said...

"Does anyone think this is a serious hygiene issue that could increase my chances of contracting the flu or are those hygiene freaks that lecture everyone just victims of a scare campaign from detergent companies to sell their products??"

Q1 - YES

Q2 - NO

And I'm not just saying that because I'm a self confessed germiphobe.