Monday, December 12, 2005

Sunday - Reporting duties at Kurrawa 50k

Sunday Long Run, 45 mins, 9k's @ 5:00mins/km

I had a verrrrry busy weekend. After putting in a shift at work on Saturday, I headed to Strike Bowling Centre at the Wintergarden for my staff Xmas Party. I had an enjoyable time in my three hours there winning the bowling with a score of 156, from 23 other contestants. Perhaps more importantly, I managed to restrict the damage from the tasty(and free!!) amber fluid to just nine XXXX Golds - I think!!! Then it was off to the Bookmaker's Club to put in an appearance at my mate Johnno's surprise 30th Birthday Party, where again, I restricted the damage to just a few Goldies. Rest assured when I say that a few years ago, a night like this saw me still going strong at 5am, having long lost track of the quantity of alcohol consumed!

Three and a half hours sleep(wearing my new Skins for the first time!) later, Langy rocked up to SportsCentre at 3am and after picking up Slash, we headed down the highway for the Kurrawa to Duranbah 50k and 2 x 25k relay, which Langy and Slash were competing in as a team. A record field of around 150 lined up and I had a lot of fun helping Slash crew for Langy as we drove down the Gold Coast towards Duranbah, stopping every few k's to supply Langy with water and gels whilst also barracking for the likes of fellow Pat Carrollers, MJ, Clarie, Tesso, Jess, Daniel and Tara. The format of the race and the crewing for Langy provided me with a perfect opportunity to follow the race for my Run For Your Life reporting duties. Langy did us proud, covering more ground than any other contestant in the first leg and becoming the first person in the history of the race to get lost inside the first 5k's!!! Onya Mate!! To his credit, Langy finished strongly and Slash then ran a strong second leg in warming conditions as the boys finished sixth. Whilst I was sceptical about the value of participating in an event like this, I enjoyed myself immensely and will probably do the race as a Sunday Long Run next year. Whilst there are know spectators, the support of enthusiastic crew driving down the Coast alongside the runners more than makes up for their absence.

A long drive home, followed by a ninety minute nap in my Skins followed by an easy run on the tready before another shift at work left me ready for a good night's sleep!!

4 comments:

Tesso said...

So ya reckon the Skins help with a hangover ;-)

Thanks so much for your support on the weekend Matty. Its always great to see friendly faces during a race, and to see the same ones more than once is a real bonus!

Can't wait until next year when you are part of the running action. Hmmmm, Sunday long run eh. You could be an unofficial pacer for those of us chasing that elusive sub 2 hours. Could be a couple of XXXX Golds in it for you :-)

Clairie said...

Heh Matty,

Great to see you there on the weekend.

I have burnt the photos to a disk and it is in the box at Pat's - make sure to let MJ know.

BTW when are you next there?

So what is your first impression on the skins?

Mike Power said...

good effort with the goldies. thats what christmas season is all about :-)

Tamyka Bell said...

Thanks for the cheering! If you want some photos, contact this guy - he was the photographer with the really big camera: Ando (Chris Anderson).