Saturday, December 17, 2005

Can't walk, let alone run!

The past 36 hours has been quite disturbing for me. After blogging the early details of my sore foot yesterday morning , the problem continued to worsen. I then remembered that I took a nasty stumble to my left on the tready on Thursday AM whilst talking to someone next to me, but with absolutely no discomfort evident, I contined my session - later, I rode over to Mum's place down the road, cycling barefoot. I think one or both of those events combined with sleeping with my feet hanging over the edge of the bed has created the problem. As Ally said in the comment section yesterday - its 'ice ice, baby!' and rest assured that I was applying plenty of crushed ice in a towel. In fact I even took a hot/cold gel pack when MJ and I went to dinner at her mate's place. I asked the hosts if I could borrow their freezer to keep chilling the gel pack to place on my foot. I think we can file that one away under "Crazy things runners do # 798"

Unfortunately, the foot was even worse this morning and showing signs of swelling for the first time. I then recalled my connective tissue inflammation in the same four weeks prior to the Gold Coast Marathon last year - this was now starting to feel similar and like the inflammation, the swelling arrived some time after the initial trauma. In that instance, lots of ice over a 3-5 day period before resuming running ASAP even with a little discomfort(to increase blood flow to the area) helped me get to the starting line 100%.

Today after six hours in the office and lots of ice, the swelling seemed to be getting even worse and I was positive I could feel my left calf and lower limb swelling up also. With visions of Clairie's Baker' s Cyst drama going through my mind, I swore I could feel extra blood and fluid swelling my leg up even further! I immediately lay down on the floor next to my desk and elevated my leg onto my chair and proceeded to do that every couple of hours for the rest of the day.

I'm currently dragging my left leg behind me when I walk as if I'm carrying a ball and chain. Running will be out of question for a few days. What started out as a minor discomfort has ballooned into a fully blown issue requiring constant RICE. If only the swelling had commenced immediately that I had suffered the trauma then I may have been able to knock it on the head quicker!

1 comment:

Tesso said...

If asking to use MJ's friend's freezer is #798, what is lying on the floor at work next to your desk every couple of hours and elevating your leg?

Matty, this isn't good :-( Hope all it needs is a few days of RICE.

You'd better be able to run again by Pat's Xmas run, it wouldn't be the same without you.