Monday, December 19, 2005

Miraculous recovery!!!

RICE!!!! Isn't it a wonderful thing? Late Saturday arvo and evening, I altered my self treatment to include more compression and elevation as compared to the previous treatment where ice dominated the proceedings. I wore a very tight foot/ankle compression garment that my brother Adam wore in his recovery from a badly swollen ankle every time I finished icing and then elevated. I then slept the first half of the night with my left leg elevated on cushions. Upon wakening on Sunday, swelling was significantly reduced and I could almost walk normally. Continued RICE throughout the day kept improving my condition and by late arvo I was in reasonable shape to do a 10k run!! Common sense however dictates that I will make my return to running on Tuesday.

I think what I've learnt out of this experience is that its very easy to get carried away with the icing and necglect the R, C and E in RICE, which is what I did. With the injury I had, the compression and elevation were clearly the key recovery factors.

On the writing side, I've finally wrapped up my 4500 word, four article contribution to the next issue of Run For Your Life. Am looking forward to a little break from writing!!

2 comments:

Clairie said...

Wow Matty,
Over here in WA I was a bit short on the goss until I longed into bloglines.

Seems like you went and did a doozy whilst I was away. Good to hear you have recovered but WOW what a scare...the worst thing about those types of injuries is not knowing EXACTLY what caused it..so you can avoid doing that in the future.

anyhow take care and keep posting so I can still feel part of the brissy running scene. Have fun tomorrow at Pats.

Tesso said...

So you'll be running at Pat's on Thursday now.

Whew! I was worried you'd still be out of action and you'd be be there as part of the water pistol brigade.