Sunday, June 11, 2006

Long Day...Longest run

16k's @ approx 5:00 mins/km

Started a long day, getting up at 5am and setting up the Running for Research course at West End and then was lead bike for the race. Then I headed straight to Fitness First eager to tackle my longest run of the year, but was confronted with a wailing fire alarm and 30 people milling around outside the entrance waiting to get in. Staff informed me that they were waiting for an all clear from the Fire Brigade. I couldn't wait for an all clear because I had to take MJ out to lunch for our first anniversary! So I headed for the Nundah Criterium for a run at my old stomping grounds in cool, windy conditions with a light drizzle! Just great! Anything beats running indoors!! Got through the 16k with few problems despite the energy tank hitting empty half way through. Started my detox this morning, eliminating wheat and dairy from my diet as of today and red meat as of tomorrow. So was fuelled with five apples, two mandarins and a carrot - definitely not enough carbs there!! Will fix that in future when I get stuck into porridge before my runs. Anyway, the run was just great, and energy issues aside I felt fairly strong throughout with the help of four one minute walking recoveries. Longest run of 2006 is now safely in the bank.

Made it to MJ's place on time and took her to the Summit Restaurant at Mt Cootha before heading to work for a short shift. Feeling positive about the running at the moment and am very committed to the detox.

Km's this week - 34
Km's this month - 67
Km's this year - 527

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Happy Anniversary Matty!

Hey, instead of lunch you guys should've celebrated by having a romantic weekend at Runaway Bay. Just imagine it, the two of you ... and about 20 of your PCRG running buddies :-)

Clairie said...

Congrats on your longest run. Two things to celebrate the day with!!!

But really....who ever heard of someone starting their detox on the day they are taking their loved one out for an anniversary meal!! MATTTTYYYYYY do I have to come and shake my head at you????

Cirque said...

Congrats to you and MJ for your anniversary.

Good luck with the detox. I'm interested to follow your results.

Tesso said...

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!