Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Tuesday - Its all happening

9k’s – 6k’s @ 5:00 mins/km, 3k’s @ 4:30 mins/km

Ventured into the City for my fortnightly speedwork session with the PCRG and got through that ok – the hill leading up to All Hallows was a blast and I’m looking forward to tackling it fully fit!

The afternoon saw my go out to UQ to see Ash for some gait analysis and glute firing drills. Ash was pleased with my progress and I’ve definitely come a long way since I first saw him. It was good to break out into a full sprint on the UQ track and I’ve gotta say that my stride feels a lot better at 3:20 pace than 5:00 pace and the film of my gait confirmed that. Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that I should do all my running at 3:20 pace! The pro and cons that came out of the session were:

PROS
Overstriding continues to be reduced and at full speed and 4:15 speed, I was landing the feet close to the correct spot under me, reducing stress on the shins.
Pronation is now virtually non existent with the orthotics in.
Glute firing drills are slowly increasing my capacity to run with a good stride.

CONS
My hips and upper body continue to frequently buckle at impact, even when landing the feet in the correct position.
When striding out and with my feet in the air, my feet are flopping all over the place before impact. They can actually flop to the left and then right in the air in the quarter second between lift off and impact! Whilst the feet not pronating at impact, they occasionally land in awkward positions and contribute to a stride that is overall unefficient.
Overstriding continues to be a bit of a problem at 5:00 min pace putting stess on the shins.

Wrapped up the day with a Brisbane Marathon Sponsors function at the Regatta where I represtented Run For Your Life. Ended up talking to the Regatta GM, Andrew Ford for about 20 minutes on coporate functions and the brewery wars before I escaped and hung out with Clairie, Rick and Clare G for a while. Managed to convince Qld Athletics to get off their arese and contribute to R4YL so it was a productive night and the free beers didn’t hurt either!

Km's this week - 9
Km's this month - 76
Km's this year - 189

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Good to see things are on the improve Matty. It must be so hard trying to alter you gait when running is so 'natural'.

Thanks for reminding me I missed out on free beers last night. And walking distance from home. There was probably free yummy food too. I don't want to know about it.

Clairie said...

Nah Tess the food was not great!

But it was good to talk to you Matty and Claire G and Rick and the other few I spoke to.

Was disappointed to see Belinda's run on the screen keep flicking to the swimming during the presentations but all up a good night.

I was however expecting to hear a full report (and photos) of the skin sox on your blog!