Friday, March 17, 2006

On go the Skins.....

5k's @ 5:00 mins/km

Its been a few months now since I started wearing long Skins as a recovery aid - mainly when sleeping the night after a run. However, due to the Skins being itchy when my legs are in motion, I had not yet got around to doing a recovery run in them. Today I did just that and the 5k's I clocked up on the tready this morning featured the usual mild discomfort, that the Skins didn't alleviate. I won't be writing off the Skins as a option for running in but will now trial long socks as worn by Eloise Wellings. http://www.athletics.org.au/athletes/profiles/photos.cfm?ObjectID=469
These long socks are claimed to reduce calf issues they follow the theory that centers around the belief that if you contain the calf muscle in a sock then the only stress it is exposed to is the actual forward propulsion. They believe that when the calf is not contained in a sock it does extra work such as the muscle flapping which could potentially create extra stress for the shins. http://www.oxysox.com/media.htm

Gees, I would be quite a sight if I ended up having to wearand race in these socks for the remainder of my career!!! Long white socks, white headband - I could be the most recognisable runner in races around town!!

Km's this week - 18
Km's this month - 58
Km's this year - 171

2 comments:

Tesso said...

The socks plus the headband - this I gotta see :-)

Clairie said...

Matty...I can see there will come a time when I may pretend to not know you. Please dont' take it personally but the uh look wouldn't be complimentary to the 'cool mum' image I have going with my kids.