Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pat Carroll Running Group - 3K TT

3K TT 13:20, 3k warm up, 2k warm down

Made my first appearance at Pats' since the Christmas run last year - gees, its been a while!! With the low grade virus hopefully banished forever and my mileage slowly increasing, I should be able to resume my fortnightly sessions at Pat's whilst I continue to do 90% of my running on the tready. All going well, I will upgrade to weekly sessions around May. It was good to catch up with everyone and see that the Group has grown by about 20 people in my absence. I was so busy talking with people that I completely forgot to stretch both before and after the session, so will do it in the office as soon as I finish writing this!

I rocked up at the session with the intention of running the same 5 min k's that I've been doing for the last few weeks at the gym. But on the warm up, Pat was sledging me about running so slowly and by the time I got to the starting line, I had changed my mind and decided to run 14 mins for the 3k's, just to see how it felt. 400m into the TT, with Tesso and Tori just in front of me pacing a sub 13:30 bus, I decided to help them out with the pacing and upgraded my target to sub 13:30 and did it easily. The shins felt good today and there was little discomfort during or after the run. If I feel similarly good after my next non tready run in a fortnight, whilst feeling some discomfort on the tready, I might consider ceasing or reducing treadmill running for a while, just to see if it makes a difference.

Anyway, whilst I was cruising along this morning, I had plenty of time to cheer everyone on - stacks of PB's were run out there today - too many to mention(but I should mention Clairie and Ally - well done gals!!!) A special mention to Gary M who ran a mighty 3k's trimming two seconds off the existing Group record - from 9:29 to 9:27. Unfortunately for Gary, he can't claim the record as it had already been broken 39 secs ealier by virgin PCRG time trialler, former National 1500m Champion Al Stevenson!!! Al is representing Australia at the World Cross Country Champs early in April and it'll be great if he can come along to the occasional session or TT and add some class and speed to the Group. The only downside is that its gonna take me a while to break Al's new Group record of 8:50 and he could potentially lower it to the low 8 minute mark if he decides to get serious!!!

I better get over these shin probs quick smart........

Km's this week - 8
Km's this month - 25
Km's this year - 137

1 comment:

Tesso said...

What do you mean Al come along and add some class to the group - that's what Clairie, Ally and I are there for ;-)

You were great out there this morning Matty, encouraging absolutely everyone. We really really really have missed you.