Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Visit to physio, Shane Lemcke

At the suggestion of Bruno, I visited physio Shane Lemcke at the Gabba Sports Medicine Clinic this AM. Bruno can see that I'm doing everything right and am diligent at doing the one percenters and he is convinced there is something else wrong with my shins that hasn't been picked up yet and he had a few ideas that he passed onto Shane prior to my visit.

Ran into fellow Pat Carroller, Karen M at the start of my appt and it was nice to say G'day to her. After explaining my long history of shin probs to Shane he got me to do some walk and jog throughs before he had a good feel of my shins and feet. Peter Stanton even left the Lions player he was working on at the same time to come over and have a look :) Shane thinks that my problems could relate to the lack of stability in my feet at toe off. Whilst I wear a small piece of felt under the inner soles of all my running shoes to correct mild pronation at impact, this doesn't stabilise the toe off. Shane thinks that this lack of stability is overloading the muscle that runs inside the tibia and the resultant stress to the shins is the cause of my problems(if I understand the diagnosis correctly) Shane will call my pod Ashley Mahoney and work with him to design an orthotic for me. All going well, I will have the orthotics shortly and hopefully that will be key that unlocks the enigma aka Matty's shins!

Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Clairie said...

That's bloody fantastic news Matty!!!

Because you know what...just quietly I was getting sick of beating you :)

Tesso said...

Oh Matty, that is great. Fingers crossed he's hit the (toe)nail on the head :-)

Cirque said...

I'm crossing my fingers too! Orthotics can work wonders.