Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sunday - Another breakdown!

Unfortunately, my 100th blog entry will not be a memorable one, for here I am reporting on yet another breakdown, albeit a minor one. I have now broken down more times than my mate RooBoy's old Holden Commodore(aka 'the lemon').

After cutting Friday's run from 50 to 40 minutes, I experienced intermittent discomfort in the shins, (primarily the upper left shin on the outside, more muscular than on the bone) on Saturday and on Sunday morning. So I canned the Sunday Long Run.

I'm almost certain that the low grade virus I had late in the week is responsible and I was probably affected by it earlier in the week before I felt it. So, the lesson here is until I have completed resolved my shin splints problem, I will have to stop run the instant I feel a virus/flu coming on. Lets hope I don't get too paranoid about this!!

As always, when I break down, I take the time to review everything I've been doing and to consider new ideas and strategies to add to my running and training regime. This time, I've decided to double the time and effort I put into core strengthening and stability exercises. My upper body is stronger than that of the average runner, but my back, torso and hips are only of average strength. I'm hoping that if my body is rock hard strong instead of merely strong, then it will be able to take the load of the shins a little. Phil K in particular swears that his strict gym regime and all round body strength is the reason behind his low injury rate.

Starting this week, my goal is to devote a minimum of two hours a week to core strengthening and stability exercises.

On a positive note, had a great start to the day when Tesso, Chelle, Robbie, Ciaran and Tara, Liz and Glenno and others went for a run along the Kedron Brook with MJ for her last run prior to leaving for basic Army Reserves training at Kapooka, near Wagga Wagga. I cycled amongst the group and then it was back to MJ's place for a huge breakfast on the deck.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Oh Matty :-(

Smart move getting stuck into the core stuff. It was lack of strength there that caused my injury recently. Its a painful area to work on but is worth the effort .. or so the physio keeps telling me when I whinge about how long the exercises take and how much they hurt.

Thanks again for your support on Sunday. It was much appreciated. Just wish you were running with us!