Sunday, January 08, 2006

Friday - Story Bridge Adventure Climb

40 mins 8k's @ 5:00mins/km - DID NOT FINISH

Up bright and early on Friday morning to take MJ on the Story Bridge Adventure Climb for her birthday. 'Say what?' I hear some of you ask. 'Take a girl bridge climbing for her birthday!!??' . You better believe that's exactly what I did. Jewellry, clothes, perfume - BORING!!!! I and my brothers all prefer to offer a memorable experience for a present. Adam recently got his girlfriend a parasailing experience on the Gold Coast for Xmas - a great idea which I've filed away in my memory bank!!

Anyway, the day dawned gloomily with overcast conditions and light rain greeting us upon awakening. Fortunately, the sun and the accompanying humidity intruded upon the Melbourne like weather before our climb at 6:30am. Having climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 2000 during the Sydney Olympics I was quite familiar with the pre climb routine of putting on coveralls and other equipment. I safely passed the breath test which brought backnostalgic memories of the Harbour Bridge Climb. When my brother Adam and I along with my mate Lacho were down in Sydney for the Olympics, my other brother Benno joined us for a 36 hour hit and run trip during which he planned to see as many events as possible and join Adam and I in a brothers climb of the Harbour Bridge. Unfortunately, after a hard day in the office, followed by a few relaxing ales on the plane to Sydney, Benno made the mistake of continuing to party on very hard with the rest of us at the Bondi Hotel till 2am. That took its toll and when fronting up for our climb at 11am the next morning, Benno managed to blow .1 and was barred from joining Adam and I on the climb and forfeited the $120 fee!! Needless to say, Benno wasn't too happy at the time, but its a story that we all laugh at now and one that has grown legs over the years. Lacho in particular enjoys embellishing this story.

But back to the present - the climb commenced with a walk along a temporary undercarriage bolted under the bridge. For nervous climbers, this can be hairy with semi trailers passing overhead shaking the structure. Its also hairy if you look down through the metal grill of the walkway. Reaching the famous steel span of the bridge, a steep stairway on the east side took MJ, I and the rest of our group halfway up where we paused for several minutes to take in the view before continuing to the top. The spectacle at the top was predicably breath taking affording great views of the Brisbane River, the city skyline, Kangaroo Pt, the mountains out west and the feature characteristics found to the east and north. Moving on to the middle of the bridge, we crossed over to the city side and made our way back to the top again before finally descending. MJ and I had a great two hours enjoying this birds eye view of our home city and we encourage everyone to undertake the experience also - preferably as a couple, because if you do, MJ or I get a free climb with you as part of a special deal being offered!!

My Friday Recovery Run was not so enjoyable. 30 minutes into the run, there was a little discomfort in the left shin and at 40 mins I pulled the plug on the run before reaching 50 minutes. I have a very low grade virus which has given me a minor sore throat and I suspect that this has weakened my body just enough to bring on a minor recurrence of the shin splints. Other than the shins, I am not adversely affected by this low grade virus and should be ok soon, I hope.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Wow, the bridge climb sounds faaaantastic. Except having a fear of heights I went weak-kneed reading it. Gonna post some pics in the blog?

Hope you're rid of that virus and back on the road (or the treddy) asap.

Clairie said...

Matty this virus thing is not good you seem to have had it for a while.

Tuck yourself into bed with some chicken soup for a few nights and get at least 9hrs sleep (8 is standard and 1 for the virus!!!)

So what do you think is best - Sydney Bridge climb or Story Bridge Climb?