Friday, November 04, 2005

Comeback # 8 - Hitting the treadmill

40 mins - 8k's at 5:20 mins/km with 1 min Walking Recoveries

With the shin splint battle about to tick over into the eleventh month, I today entered the Brave New World of treadmill running. MJ and I went down to Fitness First at Lutwyche this morning and hit the treadys together. Believe it or not, this was the first time I've ever been on a treadmill for more than two minutes and it showed as I twice nearly fell off after losing concentration once and making the mistake of looking over my shoulder on another occasion. Apart from that hiccup, everything went smoothly as I eased into my new running surroundings carefully alternating five minutes of running with one minute walking recoveries. A little bit embarrasing, really, but if its good enough for Lee Troop and Susie Power, its good enough for Matty. Pulled up well, apart from having dizziness and vertigo after hopping off the tready.

Whether I continue to attend Fitness First beyond the two week starter package period remains to be seen. Today, they offered me a package with a $45 joining fee, $60 admin fee, and $46 a fortnight. At more than $92 a month, this is well over the $59 a month that MJ has been paying there for a few years. Needless to say, there'll be a lot of negotiating ahead to lower that price as I won't be taking it. I'm considering coming up with my own offer and tabling it to the manager. If anyone has any good suggestions for negotiating lower membership fees with gyms, i'd love to hear from them!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Be careful on the treddy, Puntermatt. You'll soon enough get used to it without falling off I hope! It would hurt if you did. Use the safety clip thing...you clip one end onto your singlet or shorts & if you start to fall or move away too far, the other end comes off a magnet & the machine stops immediately.

Eleven months of shin splints!! OMG!!!

Tesso said...

Hope you can sort that FF mob out Matty and get them to drop their price a little. I was lucky enough to snaffle an 'opening special' at mine ($25.95 a fortnight), maybe you can mention that to your mob.

So, shins held up okay by the sounds, but how do the rest of the legs feel after 40mins on the tready?

PS Nice to see you and MJ finally have a run together :-)