Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tuesday - PCRG - 3KTT




3k's 10:27(3:26, 3:34, 3:26) 3.5kWU, 2.5k WD

On Monday, my glutes, hammies and quads all paid the price for my groundbreaking run on the Powerful Owl trail as well as for Sunday's touch footy game. I awoke on Tuesday morning and my first thoughts were 'The body's too sore - why not get another two hours sleep and then do a light 50 min recovery run?' Then I thought of all the great runners that I hope to emulate and knew that they would not take that course of action so I hopped out of bed and was on my way.

Instead of joining the Group at the Ship Inn, I went straight out on Riverside Drive hoping that a longer warm up than the usual 2.5k for this session would help get the blood flowing in the legs and to a degree it worked. Standing at the waiting for Pat to send us on our way I locked in my plan - I would run 10:28, one second faster than last month to keep my rate of improvement going and I would run a strong second k to allow me to cruise to the line without busting a gut on the last k. And that's exactly how it panned out!! I refrained from bolting early and settled into a nice rhythm trailing Aza. I ensured that the second k was a strong one by passing Aza shortly after the 1500m turnaround and maintained a smooth run all the way to the line. The legs didn't feel so bad after all once I got going and my breathing was excellent. If I had fresh legs, I could have gone Sub 10 had I flogged myself, but I'm not ready to do that until at least December.

It was good to see my fellow Powerful Owl trail runners Pete and Slash both go sub 10!! I think there's a message in there - go run the trail!!!

Its all good!!!

No comments: