Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Countdown to Gold Coast Marathon 2007 starts NOW!

15 min fartlek, 2 x Gold Hill, 3k WU, 3k WD

A solid fartlek session this morning and two efforts up Gold Coast Hill to get my day underway. A fair hitout. Moving on to my announcement:

The first Sunday in July might be more than eight months away, but my preparation to crack the three hour barrier starts now! I know plenty of good runners who have just fallen short of that Sub 3 holy grail despite good campaigns and I'm determined not to be one of them. I also know a number of runners who needed at least five marathons under their belt to get from 3:10-3:15 to Sub 3 so the magnitude of my attempt to improve from my 3:12:45 debut Marathon in 2004 to Sub 3 at my second attempt next year can't be underestimated. To be successful, I'm going to have to work bloody hard and leave no stone unturned over the next eight and half months. Probably the key part of my preparation will be to build up my core strength to a level that will withstand the rigours of the Marathon. It hasn't gone unnoticed by me that the likes of Glenda, Peter and Phil K who are in the 2:50-2:59 Marathon range have a stronger core and leaner appearance than most colleagues in the 3:00-3:10 range. So lets see how I'm planning to achieve this goal:

CORE STRENGTH - Starting this week, I will be doing a minimun of three hours of core strength gym work per week. I've been doing an hour to two hours per week for most of my running career, but tend to drop off quickly when I pick up a cold or have a busy week and I don't try to catch up. From now on, if I fall behind one week, I'll catch up the next. I want to stand on the start line at the Coast knowing that I have at least 130 hours of core strength work in me. I will be keeping a log of my core strength hours on my blog and urge my readers to get stuck into me if I drop off the pace - thanks! Most of my core strength work will be done in my home gym aka 'The Steel Factory' with emphasis on the mid section, abs, sides, lats etc. More than likely I will have a monthly session with a PT in the last 4-5 months of my campaign. Pilates will also be included in my core strength work.

MILEAGE - Weekly mileage will be determined by Coach Pat when I get back on a program shortly but I'd imagine I'll average around 70k's a week over the summer before ramping up mileage from around February next year.

SPEEDWORK - At the moment, I'm still holding back and doing 3:30 mins/km pace at speedwork. Will pick up the speed to around 3:25 pace in November and work my way towards 3:20 pace from there. To counter my frequent problems with lack of energy at speedwork, I will start taking GU's beforehand - they work for me. I've been reluctant to utilise this approach previously as it is a 'quick fix' and I've really wanted to get to the bottom of my real problems - but that will have to be solved as I go along.

LONG RUNS - Pending discussions with Coach Pat, I would like to start doing at least one hilly Mt Cootha Sunday long run per month - they definitely toughen you up! Without forcing the issue, I'd like to see my running efficiency, fitness and core strength improve to the point where I roll along at 4:30-4:40 pace for the duration of my Sunday long runs by next May or thereabouts. This would still be at a 'comfortable talking pace' throughout.

RACES - All going well, I'll do the classic Brisbane Half-Doomben 10,000 lead up to the big dance. In the short term, the Kurrawa to Duranbah 25k relay leg is a target and I will try and race about twice a month over 3-5k's this summer.

INJURIES - My body is holding up well as I steadily increase my weekly mileage from 60 to 72k's. The shins only bother me when I contract a cold thus I'll be working hard to avoid contracting colds! My plantar fasciitis problems are almost a distant memory but I still have to vigorously massage them each night and tape them up before a run. The recent VMO niggle in the knee is still a tad sensitive but getting better quickly. Finally I've resigned myself to the fact that my ankles (which are shot from years of basketball) will have to be taped up before each run for the rest of my career. Pretty happy with my condition at the moment - nothing I can't manage.

So there is it - bring on Gold Coast Marathon, 2007!!!

4 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hi Matty

Nice plan and I'm more than happy to follow your progress and tell you if I think I can see something that might help. While I think you have a great deal of guts and commitment and I reckon you can do it, I think that somewhere deep in the recesses of your mind is the memory of your first GC attempt. But by being as fit as you will be I think that will be enough to put any doubts concerning your ability, to do it under 3 hours, to bed.

All the best

Superflake said...

Good Luck Matt, hope you succeed in the goal after all your injuries this year. I'm going for sub 3hr as well but at Canberra.

mike said...

Nice one Matty. I've been thinking about GC myself. I'm more circumspect tho', probably looking at 3.10, depending on injuries. Might have to join you on those long hill runs...

Clairie said...

Bring it on!