Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Going hard.....

15 min Fartlek, 3k WU, 3k WD

Felt good and ready for a solid session this morning, helped by taking a GU when I arrived at South Bank. We went to the Edward St corner of the Botanic Gardens and instead of running our usual 'square', Pat marked out a triangular course covering a longer stretch of grass than is normally the case. I've taken it pretty easy on the grass in the last two years due to the shin splints and concerns over the stability of my ankles but I thought today was as good as any other to push it a little harder on the grass and see how we go whilst doing 30sec fast, 30sec jog fartlek

I scooted away to a quick start and opened up a 10m break on a chase pack. It was nice to be feeling strong and leading a session again and I maintained the lead till the six minute mark when James (17:25 5k at BRRC on Sunday) and then Gaz went past me. Later Mark T passed me and Andy, Jonesy and Mike R joined me to form a pack chasing Mark T. As twelve minutes ticked over, Mark began to come back towards the chase pack and this was the moment for me to tap into my reserves, drop the pack and overtake Mark to reclaim third. With Pat yelling for us to sprint the entire last lap, the competitive instincts kicked in and I selected my top gear and rocketed to the line well clear of my challengers. A satisfying session.

Kms this week - 10
Kms this month - 201
Kms this year - 1518
Core Strength this week - 39 min
Core strength since 16/10 - 1hr

No comments: