Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Sudnay - Great weekend at Noosa!

Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:00mins/km
Sun - Noosa Tri 10k run leg 40:06, 3k WU, 5k WD


MJ and I had a fabulous weekend at Noosa!! Ran around like a headless chook on Friday morning getting the pool man to install a new filter (@ $725 - ouch!!), doing my Friday recovery run around the back streets of Wavell Heights and getting swooped by a magpie and getting a rub from Bruno. So it was a relief to jump in the car and head up the coast at 1pm, only just beating all the traffic heading up the Coast. \
We arrived at Noosaville's Islander Resort in good time and spent the arvo relaxing before getting a gourmet pizza for dinner washed down with a bottle of red. Saturday morning saw us enjoying a gourmet breakfast at Berardo's on the beach with my Northies team mate RooBoy and his girlfriend Tanya. Then it was off to the Expo to get registered and it was there that I bumped into Lee Troop registering for the Bolt and I had a chat with him for about five minutes about his thoughts on the race - a nice bloke. After an afternoon of chilling out, MJ and I headed back to Noosa Parade for the Bolt. But firstly, there was the small matter of watching the Cox Plate and the Noosa Heads SLSC and I had former Carlton great, Stephen Kernahan watching the race next to me. I managed to refrain from mentioning the 1986 Grand Final (I was a Hawthorn fan at the time) Just like last year it was great fun to get out on the road with all the Bolt runners and have a quick chat with them pre-race and fire them up. It was a pretty inspiring race with Marty Dent and Eloise Wellings getting the spoils and from a personal perspective, I realized that I've got a lot of work to do before I can run in the Bolt without embarrassing myself! The last place male ran 17:30 and was overtaken by Wellings who gave him a one minute start as the women's race started shortly after the men's. The day wound down with MJ and I enjoying a Thai dinner, two XXXX Golds and a relaxing DVD.

Triathlon day saw me getting numbered at 6:30am with my new team mates. They were actually Chelle's team before she passed the run leg baton to MJ who passed it on to me!! I then headed to Noosa Beach where I found a quite table at the back of the dunes and spend most of the next two hours writing my Intraining Women's Classic Repot, Simon Doyle 1500m Classic report and the start of my Noosa Bolt report. Finally it was time to head to the PCRG tent and drop my gear off before heading out to for a 3k warm up prior to entering transition just before our cyclist to arrive after 60-65mins on the bike. Note to all triathlon team runners - NEVER trust a cyclists time prediction as they are more often than not grossly optimistic!! After 78 minutes (and 20 minutes of waiting for me!) our cyclist finished his ride and I headed off feeling good and energetic with three GU's fuelling me. I was running very comfortably and a cool breeze meant that the warm weather wasn't an issue for me. Despite a plan to cruise around in 42 minutes, I reached 5k in 20:06 after missing the 3 and 4k markers. Still feeling comfortable I then cruised home steadily with a slight negative split. It was fun to overtake a zillion people including plenty of other team runners and I would have yelled 'Coming through' close to 100 times as I weaved and bumped my way through the traffic. I pulled up nicely and was breathing normally barely thirty seconds later.

A great weekend ended when we headed straight back home and I faced the sobering reality of having to type up 2 R4YL reports and then do a shift at work ending at 11pm.

No comments: