Thursday, October 12, 2006

Meet my VMO

Wed - 40 mins, 8k @ 5:00 mins/km
Thurs - 4min/30JR/2min/30SR, repeat, 45SR, 4min, 3kWU, 3K WD


Went a coupla hundred metres down the road on Tuesday night to speak with Bruno about my knee. Luckily for Bruno, I'm not a hypochondriac neighbour knocking on his door every week. Bruno suspects that the VMO muscle on my left knee is smaller and weaker than the one on the right and it wasn't strong enough to withstand the pressure I was putting on it accessing that big step to my new bedroom. Bruno gave it a massage and the muscle felt 'crunchy'. Bruno also recommended some daily self massage for the affected area as well as exercises to strengthen the area.

Bruno's help didn't pay immediate dividends as the knee was quite sensitive on Wednesday morning and I eased my way to 8k instead of 14k. However, I was back in business this morning with a hard speedwork session at Pat's. I wasn't far behind Glenda and was on par with Aza and Mike. The VMO now feels more like a sore or tight muscle rather than a niggle and knowing what the problem was and that it could be managed gave me the mental latitude to run hard.

I also enjoyed one of my funniest moments ever at training this morning. Towards the end of my warm up, I ducked into the toilets at the top of the QUT Amphitheathre hill. As I walked out, I noticed that Pat was walking in and he hadn't seen me. I was quick to give him a fierce 'BOO!" as he came around the corner. I swear I have never seen a more startled expression than the one on Pat's face as he went into an automatic karate self defence stance - no doubt the legacy of years of karate training before he took a running. A classic moment that left me pissing myself laughing for some time. No doubt Pat will be looking for revenge and I could add to my dubious record of being the only Group member ordered by Pat to do pushups halfway through a session!!

2 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Yes Matty You'll have to be on guard from now on I've heard Pat was a bit of a prankster while training in Canberra. And unluckly for you pranksters are seldom if ever cured.

Still it must have been worth it I couldn't of resisted that chance either.

Clairie said...

Thats damn funny Matty!!! I'll have to tease Pat about it...which only means one thing - he wont' let you forget it!