Friday, October 27, 2006

Matty reporting from Noosa!!!

Thurs - 3kWU, 4k tempo 16:06, 3k WD
Fri - 50 mins - 10k's

MJ and I arrived at Noosa at 3pm this arvo and checked into the Islander Resort opposite from the Noosa River. The accomodation is nice and comes courtesy of the good people at USM Events who have shouted me the trip so I can come up and cover the Noosa Bolt for R4YL.

Its been a very frantic yet fulfilling time for me over the last 48 hours and I'm looking forward to chilling out next to the pool and reading a good book(you know the one I'm talking about, Lacho!!) I will be replacing MJ in a team for the Noosa Tri and will just do a solid tempo run - maybe around 41-42 mins for the 10k run leg. Coming so soon after a hard 5k last Sunday and a fast speedwork session, I'm not going to flog myself considering I may have pushed it a little bit too hard at speedwork on Tuesday. I didn't think much about it at the time, but late on Tuesday or Wednesday(I can't remember when!) I had a funny feeling in my left calf muscle - it felt like someone had pumped it full of air. The feeling went away after a few hours and I had no probs with my next run. I then forgot about it until I mentioned the incident in passing to Bruno whilst getting a rub this morning. Bruno then felt around and found a tight nerve behind my left knee and at the top of the calf muscle. Gees, it was possibly the most painful minute I've spent with Bruno and believe me there's been some. Bruno is pretty certain the tight nerve was caused by the back to back hard runs on Sunday and Tuesday and that my body, whilst in good shape overall, is not quite ready for hard speedwork twice a week. As such, I will be discussing with Pat about incorporating a tempo run of maybe 8-10k's into my program on Thursday's over the summer and hopefully my body will be right for twice a week speedwork by the time Pat kicks off our 'Countdown to Gold Coast'.

That's it for now - looking forward to the weekend!!!

No comments: