Monday, February 20, 2006

Sunday - Bribie Tri - Race 3

7k's @ 5:05 mins/km with 2 min WR's

Northies competed in the third leg of the Bribie Tri this AM. RooBoy dragged his troublesome hamstrings through a 1k swim whilst hardly using his legs to kick through the water. Surviving the run back to transition without hearing that dread "twang" from the hamstrings, RooBoy tagged our Mr Consistency, Matt, who put in his usual solid leg on the bike before my replacement and Northies debutant, Langy took over the reins with us in about 7th or 8th spot. Langy was feeling good and looking forward to the 8k run leg and had worked his way up to 4th or 5th after the first lap. An exciting finish then followed with the third place mixed team contestant, a peroxide blonde bloke,going through the 7k mark 50 seconds ahead of Langy, but clearly struggling and hardly making 5 min pace. I tried to contribute to the negative thoughts no doubt circulating through Peroxide's mind by saying 'Bloody hot out here today, isn't it?' as he staggered past me. Then Langy flew past and I urged him to lift the pace and run down Peroxide! Langy reckoned he had Peroxide under control at the 500m mark but Peroxide lifted when the finish line came into view and managed to slip home 15 metres ahead of Langy who hit the line in 31:15 for a pleasing run. Northies probably finished 4th overall and 2nd in the male teams category behind the winning team led by fellow Pat Carroller, Steve L. We've pretty much wrapped up the Championship with one race to go in three weeks time. Big thanks to Langy for contributing to the Northies cause.

A bbq at RooBoy's place capped of a great morning and with my Sunday run yet to come, I got stuck into the fruit platter rather than the snags platter. With intermittent shin discomfort the previous 48 hours, I reduced my planned 10k's on the tready to 7k's and managed to get through it ok. My feet are just about used to the orthotics. My shins are not yet free of discomfort and I'm hoping that its more of a niggling thing that comes with commencing regular running after a break than anything more serious. Time will tell.

And I can't sign off without mentioning the great time I had on Friday night at an engagement party for one of my old mate's Dan and his fiancee, Sheridan. It was good to catch up with a lot of old faces, some of whom I haven't seen for a while. Interestingly, I was introduced to a committee member from the Moreton Bay Roadrunners who is involved in organising the Jetty to Jetty and inquired about the chances of me giving the J2J a plug on Run For Your Life mag. These kind of requests are starting to become common. The only downside of the evening was the fact that after presenting the happy couple with a gift of a really nice 8'10 silver photo frame, I've now run out of the silver photo frames that I purchased in bulk several years, specifically to give away as engagement party presents. A shopping trip will be required to replenish my stock :( Fortunately, I have at least five cut down and regripped golf clubs for newborn baby presents, that should last me a few years yet. Sadly, I have yet to think of a suitable wedding present that can be bulk purchased - if any of you smart gals out there bulk buy wedding presents, be sure to let me know what are some suitable options.


Km's this week - 21
Km's this month - 24
Km's this year - 93

2 comments:

Cirque said...

Matty - I think I accidentally walked past you and ignored you at Bribie yesterday (I was in the R4YL cap). Sorry! I was on PlanetCirque and didn't realise it was you until I was half way down the road.

Tesso said...

Hey Matty, my birthday is October so you have plenty of time to stock up before then ;-)

Good to see Langy did a great job for the team.