Wednesday, February 08, 2006

'O' for Orthotics

Started yesterday by depriving myself of breaky as I finished my 13 hour fast and went to have my blood test. After lunch, it was off to UQ to see Ash where I was presented with my orthotics along with instructions on how to break them in - also hit the track wearing my trousers, business shirt and running shoes with orthotics inserted underneath the inner soles of my running shoes. The orthotics are quite firm and really do a good job of preventing pronation and in fact I felt like I was supinating as Ash monitored my running with his trusty video camera before pronouncing satisfaction with the correction the orthotics offered my impact.

Interestingly, the orthotics(which were custom made to my foot) came in half a size smaller than the size 11.5 US Brooks running shoes that I am wearing. It raises the possibility that I'm wearing shoes half a size too large and perhaps my feet are slipping around inside the shoe and contributing to shin splints? I ran the 2004 Gold Coast Marathon in the same size shoes and my felt swelled up and started pushing against the toe box leading to blood blisters on two toes. As a result, I've always assumed that 11.5 US is the smallest size I can wear and going down half a size could present problems. The size of the orthotics I've been given has now changed my thinking. It also helps that the memories of those blisters have faded!! I'll probably trial a pair half a size smaller soon, to see how they go.

Wore the orthotics in and old pair of runners for one hour last night. Up to two hours tonight, when I will wear them the Bullets sudden death QF against Perth. GO BULLETS!

3 comments:

Gronk said...

Hi Matty,

I run in a larger shoe size to avoid black toe nails. My pod recommended that I lace up the "heel lock way" that avoids the foot moving about in the shoe.

Tamyka Bell said...

How good is Ash?! That man got me from being incapable of running 10km without ITB pain, to running 100km without ITB pain. Good luck with it all.

Wilio Curnold said...

Using orthotics grants relief to several injuries and frequent foot problems, especially for us runners. It helps our muscles perform efficiently, thus improving our performance throughout the session. Without it, we would have an incorrect running gait, and we would not even be aware of it. And that may affect our lower back and muscle alignment. With the correct running form and your blisters gone, I bet your personal record will definitely improve in no time.