Thursday, August 04, 2005

Sunday and Tuesday take their toll

6 x 500's - "ample" recovery.
500's/recovery - 95/57/98/65/107/37/107/54/110/36/107/end.
500's avg 104 secs/recovery avg 49.8 secs

By Tuesday night, I knew that the exertions of Sunday and the 3K TT had taken their toll, so I treated my body to a ten hour sleep and found time for some extra stretching on Wednesday. Alas, it was not enough and this morning I rocked up to speedwork with my legs suffering from a pretty fair case of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness(DOMS). Still, its pretty normal for me not to "red line" it at the Thursday session after the monthly 3K TT and I was happy to resign myself to a solid hitout instead.

6 x 500's under the Story Bridge with "ample" recovery was on the program. As this is not a regular session, there was some banter about what Coach Pat's definition of "ample" would be with 30 secs being a popular tip. The cynics ended up with egg on their faces as Pat announced recoveries of around one minute.

I took out the first two reps a few secs behind my behind my normal pace in the low 90's before easing off. Finishing well behind the A-Team in the 500's and starting each new rep with them ensured that my recoveries were shortened allowing me a solid cardio hitout to make up for my slower running.

With Thursday being my day off, I went straight home and stood thigh deep in my icy cold pool for 15 minutes, penning entries in my diary whilst doing so. I'm a great believer in cold water wading recoveries, especially salt water and find that they really speed up my recovery from muscle soreness and/or prevent muscle soreness. A wading recovery is practically mandatory for me following any run over 90 minutes and any extremely hard speedwork session.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Leaving first comment ever. Was Tesso choosing the colour schemes when you designed this one?
Welcome Puntermatt hope you get the sub 4min marathon one day.

Horrie said...

I'll second what Superflake is saying Matty. First shaving your legs and now a pink blog. What's next?

On a serious side, it is good to see you back running well. I'll back you to go sub 10 next month.