Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Solo speedwork session........sort of

Speedwork - 15 mins of hills in Botanic Gardens

Today's session was voted both the "favourite" and "most painful" session at the recent Pat Carroll Running Group Formal night which is clearly indicative of the masochistic streak that prevails withing many of my team mates. My masochistic streak is quite healthy also, thank you. Sadly, I was unable to directly share today's "stretcher session" with my team mates. The last time I participated in this particular session and another similar one, both of which are run on the grass of Brisbane's beautiful Botanic Gardens, I suffered a very mild relapse of my shin splints. So, today I took the conservative option of staying off the uneven grass and running a loop of the Botanic Gardens' paved paths taking in a similar hill and one not to far away from the one which my team mates were throwing themselves up and down. Its one thing to do a long run by yourself at an easy pace, but its another thing to run hard and fast by yourself without the benefit of running in a pack or with another runner in front of you to chase. Fortunately, I was able to apply myself mentally and put in a solid session and wrapped it up with a good flogging all the way over the Goodwill Bridge at top speed with the in form Aaron and Slash.

Moving on, I had one of those runner's tunnel vision incident last night. I was preparing my running gear and work clothes for today's activities and whilst doing so, I was stretching repeatedly and really thinking deeply about today's speedwork session and my path to the Noosa 5k. That probably explains why I neglected to pack my black dress shoes. I didn't even contemplate taking an extra 25 minutes to drive home and pick up the shoes on the way to work. Instead, I casually strolled into the office in neatly pressed grey slacks, a sharp light blue business shirt with red and black checks and a matching pair of battered light blue shower thongs with the soles almost worn through. I didn't wear shoes for a few days after my debut Marathon last year due to blistered toes, so rest assured that my work colleagues have seen far worse! And besides, there was no way I was wasting 25 minutes in the car when I should be getting plenty of breakfast into me, quick smart! Nothing gets in the way of a good recovery!

2 comments:

Clairie said...

And here I was thinking you had a bad case of diarrhea as I saw you running in and out of the trees whenever we did a loop!!!

Go the thongs, nothing like being a true blue Aussie now is there Matty?

Hannah said...

Love the work outfit ;) Maybe the trend will take off!