Thursday, August 18, 2005

Easy Thursday hitout

Speedwork - 15 mins of fartlek, 4 x 1min with JR, then 30 sec efforts with SR

With the popular Noosa Half/10k/5k just three days away, the air was lively with talk of ambitious goals, PB's to be broken and team mates PB's to beat(Can you hear me Langy/Davo!) Most of the squad took it easy today and just concentrated on turning the legs over at a reasonable speed and working up a mild sweat. I was no different, cruising through the session at about 80% effort with just one flat out sprint on the penultimate 30 sec effort.

The legs felt good and I'm really looking forward to Noosa - I will finalise my race plan over the next day or so in consultation with Coach Pat and after carefully perusing my training times.

As most of you know, i'm a big fan of the cold water wading/standing recovery after a long run or hard speedwork session. After Tuesday's hard session, I did my normal recovery at South Bank's Breaka Beach but 12 hours later, the legs were feeling a tad sorer than usual, not helped by a long day in the office. So, I arrived home at 9:30 pm, switched on the outdoor spotlight, grabbed the paper and a XXXX and stepped into the pool, staying there for ten minutes until I could barely feel my feet anymore. Whether it was the second cold water recovery or something else, I do not know, but I definitely pulled up a lot better than normal on Wednesday and have decided to continue the evening cold water recoveries where appropriate and perhaps even when I've simply got nothing better to do!

2 comments:

Robert Song said...

I somehow think I would rather have the sore legs than sit in the pool at this time of year. Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Good luck at Noosa. Hope you can reproduce your training PB form on race day.

Matty said...

You got that right Pepster! I'm still learning the best way to utilise cold water recoveries and no doubt will come up with some good methods in the future. Experimenting with cold/hot/cold/hot/cold/hot water recoveries is also on the cards at some stage.

M