Sunday, August 28, 2005

Flu strikes

Woke up this morning with a sore throat and by the time I had finished breakfast, I was down for the count as other flu symptoms took hold. Had an easy day from the comfort of a mattress thrown on the floor of my loungeroom as I watched the footy and finished reading the Deek biography. Not too upset about missing my Sunday long run, given the concerns I had with my shins on Friday - my body needs a rest and I should be right for Tuesday speedwork. Not sure whether I should be blaming Tesso or Langy for passing the lurgy on.

My brother Adam came 5th in the Binna Burra to O'Reilly's leg of the Lamington Classic on Saturday running the 25k in over the trails in 1:53:12. Good to see a second top ten finish for the family in less than a week. Benno, any chance of you finding a suitable race in the UK to make it 3/3? :)

As an interesting aside, Adam only runs for fitness and the occasional adventure race and his 5k PB is currently only a minute behind mine. Last year we staked a $50 bet, each betting the other that he would have the best PB over 10k by the age of 40. Given that I'm 30 and the young fella is 23, I've got ten years to set a 10k PB, preferably something intimidating and distant like sub 32 mins. Adam then has seven years remaining to beat the time and win the bet!! May the best man win!!

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Oh Matty, hope its not really the flu - yikes! But hey, I didn't have the sore throat thing, just a cold, so I reckon it must be Langy's Lurgy you have there ;-)

I'd be worried about that brother of yours, sounds like he's doing some secret training.

Anyway, get well soon. I'd hate to see you break that great run of Pat sessions.

Chelle said...

bummer :( sounds like you're being sensible though, so I'll be checking back tomorrow to hear about Pats session (which hopefully you made!)