Thursday, August 25, 2005

Maintaining the momentum

2min/30 sec JR/1min/30 sec JR/2min/30 sec SR, Repeat, 5 mins, one hill

Today, I maintained the momentum I have gained over the past three months by attending my 27th consecutive speedwork session, dating back to May. There is no doubt that this consistency is the prime reason behind my good form of late. Because I spent six months doing very little running when battling shin splints, my enthusiasm and motivation are currently sky high. I really find it difficult to imagine my current levels of enthusiasm and motivation subsiding. Touch wood that my body stays injury free!!

Today's session saw us tap into our endurance bases a little, running a little short of top speed whilst we did very short jogging recoveries following most of our efforts. With Slash absent on a work junket and no doubt sampling fine reds whilst at it, Aaron and I led from the front. We put in an honest and satisfying session that should stand us in good stead for an important week of training to come next week. Jodie, Glenda and the improving Langy put in sharp efforts not far behind us. I'm really envious of Glenda at the moment - she's qualified for the National Cross Country Champs to be held in Adelaide this weekend and will be pulling on a beautiful maroon Queensland race singlet! Go get 'em Mate!! I'll have to add that feat to my list of goals - wear the Qld singlet in a race, perhaps if I nominate for the Australian Marathon Championship, that is incorporated into the Gold Coast Marathon?

Just received a copy of the 1984 bio of "Deek" in the mail from Coolrunner, Sparkie. Those who know me well will be surprised to know that I have not yet read a bio of Deek, simply because they are out of publication, hard to find and not available in most libraries. I was fortunate that Sparkie happened to stumble across this copy in a second hand book store and as he already had it, he generously put it up on CoolRunning available to the first repondant which happened to be yours truly. Read the first chapter in the pool after training, during my standing water cold recovery and the book doesn't waste any time painting a picture of Deek as possibly the most disciplined and driven athlete ever to represent Australia! Can't wait to get stuck into the rest of this book!

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a tough session !!

I love reading your blog. Your enthusiasm and motivation for running and pride in your squad-mates is such an inspiration. Any suggestions for someone battling the curse of shin splints ?? Jen