Monday, June 11, 2007

Fantastic long run - close to peaking!

150 mins, 32k's @ about 4:35 mins/km

With Pete running down the Coast, Dave sick and Langy having an easy run, it was just Glenda and I today for my last serious long run before the GC Marathon. I made sure I had a race style prep and was raring to go when the time came. In perfect running conditions, Glenda and I took full advantage with a sensational run!! Despite, Glenda's nursing a calf problem we rolled along at a brisk clip the whole way and despite ocassionally dipping below sub 4:20, I felt comfortable throughout, never breathing hard. Only the last 20 minutes involved a little extra effort and that was mainly because of some mild tightness in my left glute. Importantly, I got through the run with only about 30 seconds stoppage time for drink or toilet breaks - much better than the two or three minutes I usually need. Am very pleased with the run - easily my best of the campaign so far.

That concludes my block of hard training - now it taper time!!!! Went out for dinner at a Spanish restaurant, Casa Flamenco on Sandgate Rd, Albion, with MJ tonight to celebrate our second anniversary. I had one beer and that will be my last until after the Gold Coast.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Nice work Matty. You looked pretty sharp at PCRG this morn.

Happy Anniversary :-) Can't believe its two years already. Hmmm, that means its two years since I last participated in drinking games and just weeks after doing so ran a PB at the GC. Hmmmm ...