Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Scorching

Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:02 mins/km
Sun 120 mins, 24 k's @ 4:59 mins/km
Tues - 8 x 500 with SR. 95,43SR,91,33,97,43,95,35,100,39,96,39,103,38 Avg 96.5, Avg SR 38.5

Fri - Easy 50 minute run in warm conditions followed by a ig day at the cricket and a rare 15 drink binge. From my front row seaats I saved a beach ball going into the crowd and soon after received a textie from Clairie asking was that you? Despite being topless, wearing a green Aussie hat and khaki shorts, Clairies jet fighter pilot vision managed to pick me out from more than 50m away from her spot in the Upper Deck. Warning note to everyone - Beware Clairies eagle eye!!

Sun - Started a run with Langy at the Nundah Criterium and ran along the Kedron Brook. It was already very warm at 6:40am and was shaping as a long morning for Langy who already had 30 mins under his belt. The first 5 k was slow but picked up when we hit shade and we were grateful for the cooler conditions and shade at Nudgee Beach. I felt really strong the last 5k but Langy and I kept reminding each other to take it easy and not go too fast - especially with some key speed sessions coming up.

Tues - Pat yesterday set me a target of 95 second splits equating to 3:10 pace and despite doing most of my running at 3:20-3:25 pace recently, I decided to go for it. I reasoned that it was as good a time as any to have a one of faster session before resuming 3:20ish speed sessions until March.

A record 92 runners fronted up despite facing the most oppressive humidity so far this Summer. Many of the boys elected to remove singlets. I led a big pack of 10 through the first split in 95 making jokes with Al Stevenson about how much weight he had put on since his marriage. Al soon proved his class and fitness running splits in the high 80's whilst being hotly pursued by Andy, James, Jason and Tim. Not far behind, I battled it out with Langy and Glenda. A fast 91 second split followed on the downhill leg - gees this was getting quick. However, the heat and humidity took its toll by the time we finished the 5th leg by which time most runners were sucking in the big ones with hands on knees. I knew that I was averaging just under 95's after the sixth leg but the seventh leg uphill got me and the fatigue ensured thaat I clocked a 103 before salvaging some of the damage with a 96 final split for a 96.5 average. Most of the Group was pretty shattered afterward and as such, Pat did not ask us to do Gold Coast Hill but I, Mike R, Keith and one other bloke did so anyway.

Part of me is disappointed that I did not achieve my goal but another part of me is satisfied that I gave it everything I had.



This week - 10k
This month - 223k
This year - 223k

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Nice work yesterday Matty. I can't remember seeing such an awesome site at Pat's as the huge fast pack flying along - it was great!