Tuesday, January 09, 2007

PCRG - 3KTT - Five consecutive quicker times

3KTT - 10:09 - 3:18, 3:31, 3:20

I kept my streak of time trial improvements alive in cool and overcast conditions this morning in recording my fifth consecutive improvement to give me times of 10:46, 10:29, 10:27, 10:20, 10:14 and 10:09 for my last six TT's. Just as important as the improving times has been the knowledge that I've had petrol left in the tank after each effort. Also of importance is the fact that I've looked after my body, remained injury free and turned up at the TT ready to run. I'm now aiming to keep improving at around 7-10 seconds per month and reach at least 9:30-9:39 territory at the June TT prior to the Doomben 10,000. Potentially, I could flog myself at the the next TT for a time in the 9:40's but I would prefer to continue working my way there gradually rather than risking injury.

The carbo load went well yesterday and I awoke confident in the knowledge that I could have a smaller breakfast than albeit still more than most of my colleagues eat. Langy continues to be amazed at how much I need to eat before training and told me so for the upteenth time when I drove him to South Bank this morning. This morning I settled for a small bowl of porridge, an Up and Go and a GU and the energy levels felt good when I arrived at the start line after the usual 2.5k warmup. Not all was perfect however as my mouth was extremely dry and my throat parched - from now on, I will bring a bottle of water and swig a mouthful before all TT's just like I do for all races. The legs still felt a little weak and tired from the DOMS I've attributed to kicking a soccer ball around last Friday but I wasn't too concerned as I had done everything else right.

When Pat sent us on our way, I got away nicely and was in the top three to the 100m before settling down five metres behind Pat, Langy, Glenda, Steve and a few others. The legs felt a tad weak in the first k but I still managed to clock a 3:18 and I knew the legs would come good eventually. The pack in front of me went to sleep for the second k and I didn't judge the drop-off in pace as well as I could have, thinking I was going to clock a 3:26-3:28 so it was a little disturbing to see 3:31 on my Timex Ironman watch. By now the legs were coming alive and the rest of me felt strong and I thought I better put in a brief surge to make up for the slow second k and put my target time in the bag. Cresting the hill at the 2.1k mark, I gunned it and inside 100 metres I overtook Steve, Jamie, Pat and Langy who were all running in single file strung out five metres in front of me to move into third place behind Andy and Jason. It was a sensational feeling to easily overtake some quality runners whilst feeling strong throughout! Accelerating down the hill next to the Boatshed I thought 'Gees, I could go hammer and tongs from here on and dip under 3:10 for the last k!' Never mind that I've never clocked 3:10 for a 1k split in my life before!!

As it was, once I had my goal time in the bag, I just cruised home with a 3:20 whilst urging the pack to catch up to and overtake me. A very pleasing session.

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Nice work Matty.

We should hit Pat up for a yearly award for the most consecutive improvements in TTs. You'd be a shoe in.

Clairie said...

I am so jealous of your running abilities. Well done and yes I am shocked at how much you ate before a 3km tt this morning. WOW.

Does that tide you over until lunch?

Samurai Running said...

Matty

Fantastic! When I finally start getting on a roll I will have you, in part, to thank for it.

Really inspiring stuff.

Superflake said...

Great time Matty. Good luck with getting the single figure time next month.