Monday, January 29, 2007

Disappointing end to the week, but got the job done

Thurs - 80 mins, 16k's @ 5:03 mins/km
Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:05 mins/km
Sun - 120 mins, 24k's @ 5:03 mins km


Clearly the after effects of the hard session on Tuesday, the heat and humidity among other things conspired to slow me down in the second half of the week. For the first time in a long time, all easy runs were slower than 5 min pace which is a little disappointing. However, I'm trying to focus on the good news which is that I didn't force the pace and I also racked up my 4th consecutive week of 70+ k's and have done Pat's program to the letter for one month now.

Thurs saw me doing my run at 6pm after a thunderstorm. I left the singlet in the car and enjoyed the therapeutic sting of the rain on my bare skin. My right plantar fasciitis did not enjoy the wet conditions and started to ache on the run home. With 3k's to go, I was forced to sit down on the still warm bitumen path of the Kedron Brook whilst the rain continued to come down. I then used some of the tape from my right ankle to give the PF extra support before an uneventful finish to the run. An hour later, my left foot was giving me grief and it was uncomfortable for me to put weight on it. The cause? I was a little careless strapping up my left ankle and I must have started to favour the right foot when the PF started aching. I immediately iced the foot, elevated it whilst watching a DVD of Harrison Ford in Firewall and then firmly compressed it in a bandage before going to sleep.

The foot was almost 100% on Friday morning, thank God!! And thanks to the genuis who invented RICE!! Friday saw me do an easy 10 in obscenely hot conditions at 3:30pm just before my rub from Bruno. A three minute cold shower after the run was not enough to cool me down and a minute later I was soaked in sweat again - fortunately, Bruno has plenty of towels ;-)

Sunday saw me do another evening run to allow me to put some extra recovery time after having six beers at RooBoy and Tanya's engagement party on Saturday arvo. I felt bloated when starting the run at 5pm due to a late top up of food in the stomach. I got through the run ok, but it just wasn't meant to be on the day.

I shouldn't be too hard on myself and I know that my pace will return to 4:45-4:50 territory when the weather cools down. Am resting up today in anticipation of a low 10:00 or perhaps a sub 10 at the 3KTT tomorrow.

This week - 70k
This month - 283k
This year - 283k

1 comment:

Superflake said...

At least the heels are ok after the weekend of running. Good luck on getting six PB's in a row tomorrow for the TT I think?