Tuesday, August 08, 2006

An unusual preparation

12 min Fartlek, 2 x Gold Coast Hill, 3k WU, 3k WD.

An unusual preparation for speedwork last night saw me attend a soup cooking class with MJ! We went to the Black Pearl Epicure in the Valley where Michelen starred chef Bruno Loubet. Gees, some of those dames were positively salivating in the great man's presence! Didn't they know there was a real fast runner amongst them :) Anyway, the evening was enjoyable enough for some one who has never even seen a cooking show on tv so there were a few eye openers and tips picked up. This confession should not be taken to read that yours truly can't cook! I can cook damn well, thank you. Just ask MJ!

Fartlek was on the menu at speedwork this morning - 1min fast, 30 jog, 30 fast, 30 jog, 15 fast. In great conditions Andy and Glenda led the way for most of the session with yours truly trying to stay a distance behind them that would have me going at around my desired 3:30 pace. I felt I did that pretty well and didn't go too fast. However, for the second Tuesday in a row, my legs fatigued pretty quickly. They are taking some time to adjust to the backup from my Sunday Long Runs as I've only done about 5-6 20k+ Sunday Long Runs so far this year and all of them have been in the last 5-6 weeks. Nevertheless, I concentrated on maintaining good form and saw out the 12 minute session strongly enough. No time for a breather as Pat then sent us up Gold Coast Hill which I did twice, pushing myself very hard in the process. My team mates then had the a rare glimpse of me bent over, hands on knees, sucking in the big ones. Its something they'll get used to over the next few months as I continue to work hard. Only Luke overtook me on GC Hill and I resisted the temptation to go with him. Wrapped up the session by going for a steady warm down at 4:10-4:20 pace with Mike R back to the Ship Inn. Legs have pulled up well so far!

Km's this week - 10
Km's this month - 63
Km's this year - 928
Consecutive alcohol free days - 72

No comments: