Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A crock or what?

2 x 2k @ 6:53, 6:52 1k @ 3:35 3k WU, 3k WD

It was with a fair degree of trepidation that I arrived at training this morning. My right plantar fasciitis got worse yesterday and I suspect that it had a microscopic tear from running backwards at the Gold Coast Half, that finally tore open five weeks later. Like its almost recovered counterpart on my left foot, it was firmly taped. Add to the mix the fact that I was very lethargic and tired yesterday and my back was playing up like it does for a few days every six months. I was also hungry!

Nevertheless, I tucked myself in behind Langy and Luke on the first rep and watched Glenda accelerate into the distance ahead of us. She was going so far I had to yell 'Hey Glenda, we're not doing 500's!' I was pleasantly surprised that my body held together as I completed the first rep holding my position behind the leaders with only Slash showing off his turn of foot by swooping past me late as I clocked 6:53 on a course Langy reckons is three seconds per k short. The second rep began similarly until I pulled level with Langy and Glenda at the 400 and motored past them whilst maintaining a steady cadence. Going down the incline after the turnaround, Glenda hung around for a while before dropping off. Going into the second k of the rep I was reminding myself not to go faster than 3:30 pace and to maintain a controlled stride. By this stage, i had cleared out to a lead of almost 10 metres and I was wondering when Langy and Glenda were going to stop playing games and catch up to me, but it never happened as I finished with a controlled rep of 6:52 only being pipped at the post by Luke putting in a gut busting finishing kick. I try not to race it training now and was pleased I resisted the temptation to match Luke's kick. The A-Team was always going to be well ahead of me in the last rep over the shorter 1k which I did in 3:35 as the fatigue started to kick in.

All in all, I was very pleased with the session considering the problems I brought to it. In the leadup to last years Noosa 5k when I was fitter and running at closer at sub 3:20 pace, I busted a gut to average 6:57 for three reps of 2k. Fast forward a year and my more economical and efficient running gait enabled me to record similar times despite not being as fit and not extended myself as much as I could have. Nice!


Km's this week - 11
Km's this month - 122
Km's this year - 986
Consecutive alcohol free days - 79

1 comment:

Clairie said...

That was a great session yesterday Matty and you ran really well. Very proud of you and you weren't showing any signs of soreness with your foot strike...I should know I was going slow enough to watch everyone as they went past!

I love that session though and am keen to do it again when I am less tired and more eager to exhaust myself (ie when there is not a major race coming up).

Hope this is the sign of things to come from you, it'll be good to have you at the races busting a gut again.