Monday, July 02, 2007

Gold Coast DNF disappointment

I added another entry to my list of disappointing races in 2007 yesterday when i withdrew from the GC Marathon at the 28k mark after running out of fuel. My day began badly when I regurtitated the contents of my breakfast of porridge and bannana(same as before every long run) just as I was leaving the apartment. This came as a shock as I've never thrown up before a race before - even with the usual butterflies. At this point, I had no choice but to go ahead with what I had already planned and hope that the carbo load had left enough fuel in me. I took my usual GU an hour before the race and another 15 minutes before the race. I felt ok for the first 10k and was running comfortably 10-15m behind Monas and Dennis Fitzgerald in the three hour pack. I felt very good from the 10-20k and got in the zone a couple of times where it felt very easy. I then worked my way up to the front of the pack running just behind Mona's for a few k's - inspirational stuff as we went through the half way in 88:03.

I had missed my bottle of Gatorade and GU at the 15k and 20k personal drink stops and I was stunned to discover that the personal drink tables were not marked with head high signs eg #0-500 and so on. Fortunately, I had two GU's in my pockets and was able to take one to keep the energy levels up along with cups of Endura. At the 25k mark, I sacrificed my position at the head of the pack to stop and search for my drink bottle but was unable to locate it. It was a sickening feeling to resume running now 50m behind the pack and without my much needed personal drink. I immediately put the foot down to make up the lost ground and covered the next 3k's at around 4:00 mins/km pace and got to within 10m of the pack before bonking badly - suffering from energy depletion.

I was on pace for a 2:56-2:57 when I stepped off the course, but had used up all my reserves of energy to get there basically covering 28k's on just three GU's and five or six cups of Endura. It was just a very disappointing day with things going wrong from the word go and it was extremely difficult to remain mentally positive. Yet at the same time, I am instilled with confidence as I was well on track to achieve my goal until the inevitable depletion occured. There is little doubt in my mind that had I kept breakfast down and been able to get my personal drinks and GUs whenever I wanted them, I would have nailed the bloody thing.

More thoughts and assessments to come.

5 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Jesus Matty, I would have put hard earned on you going sub 3hrs this time. Just goes to show how everything has to come together, and I mean everything, before one can achieve such a lofty goal.

You're young enough and we all know you have the talent just keep going the way you have been you'll get it soon enough.

Chin up old son.

vat_man said...

Matt, that seems a lot of fuel to take on for 28k. Running my 2:48 last year and I only took one or two cups of the sports drink for the whole race, and only had two pieces of toast and a strong cup of coffee 3 hours or so before the start.

I think you might need to take a look at your carb-load, and, more important, what you consume during your long runs.

Chatting to Action a few weeks after Six Foot Track a few years ago (where he'd blown about at about 3 hours again) he mentioned he'd seen a dietician who told him to try and do his long runs on an empty stomach and as little fuel as possible.

I think there's quite a lot to this and it was a philosophy I followed in my long runs in the lead up to GC last year.

At worst, you're training yourself to burn fat, and that can't be a bad thing.

A positive to take away is you've gone through a good training period without doing the damanging marathon itself. This is a good opportunity to move up another level.

mike said...

Matty, what a disappointment, I was waiting for you at 41k, camera ready...

Interesting comments from Vat, I remember you'd mentioned going nil-by-mouth as a potential strategy. Personally, I never eat anything before running & only have a small drink of water when I wake up. Ironically, I probably drank too much on Sunday & started getting the stitch at 15k. Slowed down from then on (& made sure I didn't drink again) and still managed my HM goal of 84 (84.10 - a 5.22 PB).

Chalk it up as a learning experience. Have you considered Melbourne in October?

Samurai Running said...

Matty I found a photo while surfing. I think I see you and Mona in amongst the 3 hour group. Take a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_five_0/680639956/in/photostream/

Tesso said...

I'm so glad I ran into you after the race Matty, I was so worried about you. But after chatting I realised you were comfortable with your decision and rightly so. Not everyone is that brave.

So onwards and upwards. Melbourne you think? I'm thinking Melbourne. See you round the traps.