Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Clean up surgery


Here's an unofficial photo of the sub 3hr pack at the Gold Coast Marathon probably around the 16-20k mark heading north. You can't miss Monas at the front and next to him is B pacer, Dennis Fitzgerald looking at his watch. I'm in the middle of the road about 10m behind Monas, and I appear to be looking forlornly at the personal refreshment tables!!!

I had successful clean up surgery first thing on Monday morning. A lump of scar tissue was removed from the back of my neck by my dermatologist, Dr Robert Sinclair. I first noticed the lump around 10 years ago when it was the size of a sultana. Five years ago it was the size of a marble and recently, it has been venturing towards golf ball proportions! I was surprised at the size of the ugly, bloody, messy lump of tissue when the Doc showed me afterwards - like an iceberg, it was bigger than I thought! I was hoping to bring it home so I could post a picture here but unfortunately, the Doc sent it off to the pathology lab for testing :( Six stitches were required to close me up afterward and the removal of a benign growth from my foot was also successful. The doctor reiterated that I should take a week off running - but I'm not sure I heard him properly. I could have sworn he said 'working week'. In that case, I might resume running in five days ;-)

Still mulling over the future short term direction of my running and will post my thoughts soon.

3 comments:

vat_man said...

So not a fan of pace groups.

Tesso said...

That's a great pic!

I see Dr Robert Sinclair as well, I've been going since the early 90s. My next appointment is July 23rd. If you start running earlier than he suggested I'm gonna dob!

Samurai Running said...

That looks just like the photo I sent you Matty.

You must run faster without that lump!