Monday, May 21, 2007

Weekend at Warwick

Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:10 mins/km
Sat - 170 mins, 35k's @ about 4:50 mins/km
Sun - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:00 mins/km


I took a rest day on Thursday and skipped speedwork with Coach Pat's blessing on Friday, instead running a very easy 50 minutes on the tready. My adductor was much improved after lots of time spent with the heat pack. Then it was off to Warwick on Friday leaving at 4pm, ducking into Intraining to pick up two new pairs of Brooks Glycerin 5's and then just beating the traffic on the Ipswich Motorway to reach the clear running on the Cunningham Highway. With MJ commited to a party and a share trading course, I made the journey alone, unfortunately.
Saturday morning, I was up bright and early and gingerly warmed up - the adductor continues to improve but I still didn't have the full range of motion. I did an easy 40 minutes and then joined the Half Marathon field in time for the start of the race with Warwick serving up its usual chilly early moning conditions coupled with a heavy mist hanging over the town. Already settled in, I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery whenever we could see through the mist! I covered the Half in a tick over 100 mins at 4:45 pace, grabbed a cup of orange juice and a cupcake and then ran straight back the way I had come for my final thirty minutes. At first, I was going to do a loop of Yangan, but then took the tougher option of returning to the course and tackling the rolling hills over the last three k's for a second time - I always feel better about myself if I take the tougher option! It was relief to complete the distance after the dramas of Wedneday morning and with the current rate of improvement, I hope to be right for speedwork on Tuesday.

The rest of the weekend was really enjoyable fulfilling my R4YL reporting duties, enjoying a nice dinner with all the contestants at the Warwick Rec Club on Saturday night and catching up with a mate at his horse agistment farm. I even found time for two core strength sessions in my motel room with the medicine ball and dumb-bells I had taken with me.

Finished off the weekend with an easy 50 min run on Sunday night to make up for the missed run on Thursday. Legs were sore from the 35k but I got it done.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement on the weekend mate :)