Friday, May 11, 2007

The hunted

Fri – 2 x 4 min, 30 SR, 1 x 8 min, 3k WU, 3k WD

Drove into one of my favourite sessions today and spent the drive plotting a plan of attack to match it with the in form Glenda. Alas, Glenda had already done her session yesterday, prompting Pete to say ‘we’ll be chasing you!’ So, I was going to be the hunted instead of the hunter – no worries!

We set off from our usual 3kTT starting line on Riverside Drive and I eased in behind Pete and David who were running side by side up front and set about finding some rhythm. Approaching the incline next to the boatshed, I put in a surge and rounded the boys to take the lead, continuing to keep the tempo up as we sped down the decline on the other side of the boatshed. I had a five metre break on the boys after four minutes and following a 30 sec SR, I really attacked the next four minute rep telling myself not to conserve anything for the 8 min run home as 30 secs would be sufficient recovery to have me ready for a hard finish. I tried to kick away from David for over two minutes but he hung on grimly and it was not until the hill before Orleigh Park that I was able to drop him. I then proceeded to put 15 metres on the boys before we ran out of time.

After a thirty second break, we turned around for the run back to the start and it was my turn to be the hunter as I set myself the challenge of catching up to the boys by the time we got to the boatshed and then going past them on the decline. To my surprise, I bridged the gap in about 500m and went straight past the boys. I was feeling really strong and clear minded, concentrating on keeping my arms balanced and my face relaxed – those long runs are starting to pay off!! I was determined to get back to the starting line with a decent negative split and going past the 1k marker at the boatshed I glanced at my watch and saw that I had to break 3:29 for the last k to record a negative split. I really gunned it that last k and it felt like I was finishing a 3k time trial as the fatigue started to creep up on me. Hardly wavering in the run for home, I clocked 3:19 for the last k and for good measure, ran past the finishing line for 10 seconds to bring up the full 8 minutes – that’s what my program called for after all!!

Am very pleased with yet another quality session. To run a 3:19k after twelve and a half minutes of hard running augurs well for the next time trial and I think I’ve put the writing on the wall for a sub 9:50 – bring it on!!!

3 comments:

Clairie said...

It's so good to hear you be so positive!

A great session by the sounds of things and I think you should be the HUNTED more often if it makes you run so well.

Samurai Running said...

If you keep that up Matty you are going to have to think about a marathon pace that will get you way under 3hrs.

R2B said...

Well Done!!