Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Promising start falls flat

8 x 500, with 45 SR, 90,91,98,99,111,112,128,130 secs.

I started of this session by running the fastest 500m interval of my life and probably would have run 87-88 secs had it been on a flat strip. I was highly motivated and the adductor was not giving me any problems and gees, I was going to have a great session! That was followed by second fastest interval of all time, although I faded just a tad over the last 100m . Halfway through the third rep as I was running side by side with the very quick Jason, my legs went dead almost instantly as if stunned by a tranquiliser dart! Despite that, I battled on with 3rd and 4th intervals that were keeping me in touch with the pack. Its quite weird breathing easily enough, but the legs are unable to keep up with your body. With absolutely no spring or life whatsoever in the legs, the last straw came when the adductor started to niggle away on the 5th leg. At that point, I quickly decided to put the cue in the rack and just ran comfortably for the rest of the session. The adductor is almost fully healed and it would be stupid to jeopardise its recovery battling away when I'm not even running good times. I can only speculate on what went wrong with three consecutive 170 min runs over the last three weekends perhaps finally taking their toll. The travel to and from Warwick plus the Sunday night recovery run are other possibilities.

Oh well, I was probably due a bad session after a brilliant month's training. Bring on Friday's speedwork session!

No comments: