Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Carbon copy

Tues - 17 mins hills, 3k WU, 3k WD
Wed - 90 mins, 18k's @ 5:05 mins/km


Took the opportunity to chill out and relax on Monday. MJ and I did a scenic drive around Montville and Maleny and of course, MJ took the opportunity to browse the trinket shops dotting the main street of Montville. Naturally, my favourite shops were the ones that had a seat out the front so I could sit down and read the paper :) We enjoyed a selection of fresh cheeses from Colin James, Maleny for lunch with biscuits and salami. That was washed down with Bundaberg ginger beer whilst we took in the view from a lookout.

Yesterday morning, it was hills in the gardens as we enjoyed cool, overcast conditions and the lightly rain soaked grass. In a carbon copy of last Friday's session, I went through the first rep with Glenda before slowly slipping off the pace as David, Peter and another bloke passed me. With five minutes to go, I felt as strong as I had during the whole session and was able to up the tempo and overtake everyone in front of me bar Glenda. The fitness is definitely improving as the 4:20-4:30 pace jogging recoveries between hills felt like a doddle.

This morning, all the mileage and hard speedwork sessions of the past 10 days caught up with me. Despite nine hours sleep, I was tired and sluggish as I ran by myself at the Kedron Brook. I was also nursing some mild (and rare) calf tightness, presumably related to my recent soleus problems and therefore ambled along at a steady 5:05 pace for the 90 minutes. It always feel a bit extra special to finish a run like that when you are not quite at the top of your game and that what I felt this morning.

No comments: