Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Always look on the brighter side of life......

Tues - 40 mins, 8k's @ 4:50 mins/km
Wed - 130 mins, 27k's @ about 4:45 mins/km

Well, its been a lousy couple of days for me to continue my run of bad luck since the Brissy Half Marathon but I'm pleased to say that I bounced back this morning. The run of bad luck started on Friday night when I was rushing to place a four game multi bet with my bookmaker before the Broncos game. I meant to bet $10 but accidentally bet $110! I emailed my bookmaker asking for the bet to be amended and then rushed off to the game only to get home and see my email still sitting in the outbox! The bet lost..... On Sunday, I decided to do my long run on Monday morning to allow my soleus muscle extra recovery from Bruno's bashing and also to avoid running in a sleep deprived state after watching the mighty Aussies go three in a row in the World Cup Final - you beauty!! I started to get a sinking feeling on Sunday night when I could feel myself coming down with a cold and you guessed it - I was in no shape to run on Monday morning. I went into the office but was struggling and left after six hours only to return home to a broken refrigerator!! What could I do but shrug my shoulders and be thankful for what I do have. Thank God for the beer fridge in the gym that now houses the contents of the now deceased fridge!! If anyone knows how I can get a really good deal on a new fridge then drop me a line.
Tuesday was spent resting at home and I started to feel better around 3pm so went for an easy 40 minute run which ended up featuring surprisingly comfortable 4:50's.

Now, most of you know that I'm a stickler for sticking to my program, but after missing yesterday's time trial plus Sunday's long run and coupled with wanting to have a good solid run to erase the bitter taste of the Brisbane Half failure, I decided that if I felt good after my scheduled 90 minute run this morning, I would continue on to do 2hr 10 minutes which I feel makes up for missing the time trial, is long enough to be considered a decent long run but not long enough to knock me around too much before my 2hr 50 min run scheduled for Sunday which I may even delay till Monday for more recovery time.

I joined my regular Wed fortnight running companions, Glenda, Mel and Beth at 5:30am - no idea where the boys were. Enjoying the cool conditions and feeling strong, I rolled along comfortably for the first few k's. The pace really picked up once we got to the Regatta and we were doing close to 4:30's at a comfortable talking pace - a pace which was maintained on the way out to UQ, over the Green Bridge, up and down Highgate Hill and then along Riverside Drive before finishing the run, still feeling great. I had a quick pit stop at my car for water and a few soft lollies and then set out for another 40 minutes with a Story Bridge loop. A little bit of fatigue set in over the last 20 minutes but I never felt like needing a GU and am stoked with the run. Its easily my best long run of the campaign so far and I can't believe that I was able to bounce back from a 36 hour cold so quickly! Life's good!!


1 comment:

Tesso said...

You looked to be moving along very nicely when I saw you and your harem out there yesterday morning.

Re the fridge - are you a union member? If so the Union Shopper provides a good service when it comes to things like that. Tell them what you want and they'll do all the shopping around for you.