Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Recovery continues

FRI - 2 x 1500m @ 6:25, 6:28, 1 x 2k @ 8:48, 3k WU, 3k WD
SAT - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10 pace
SUN - 160 mins, 31k's @ about 5:10 pace
TUES - 3k TT - 10:49


FRIDAY - Went along to speedwork and carefully eased my weak legs and body through the session at 4:10-4:20 pace. It was funny to be doing it easy cardio wise with the legs unable to do what I would have liked them to do.

SATURDAY - Normally a rest day, I did an easy recovery run to make up for my missed runs on Tuesday and Wednesday.

SUNDAY - There was a little trepidation lining up for the second longest run of my life with my legs still weak from the cold. As such, I started off from the Ship Inn with a clockwise Green Bridge loop to avoid Langy and Glenda running elsewhere in the city. I didn't want to be tempted into joining them or have Glenda say 'you need to toughen up, Matt' when I wouldn't be able to run at their pace. My decision proved to be a wise one as I gingerly covered the loop in 97 minutes, well over the 86 minutes we normally do on our Wednesday group run - in fact after 20 minutes, I wondered whether I would be able to complete the run. I then refueled at the car with some jelly beans to go with the GU I had taken at the 45 min mark and then did a loop out to Orleigh Park and back. Surprisingly, I started to feel stronger and was able to finish off the last hour in the vincity of 5:00 min pace. Very satisfying to get it done on minimal(for me!!) fuel and finish with a growling stomach.

TUESDAY - For the second month in a row, the time trial came a week after I had experienced a hiccup in my program. Last month, I was bothered by the ITB, which incidentally is no longer a concern and today, it was a question of how much have my legs improved in the last 48 hours? I had an ambitious(bloody hopeful) plan to ease into the TT with an easy 3:25 opening k before coming home with 3:17's for a 9:59. The opening k went to plan with a 3:26. I then hit the gas and raced past 10 blokes in the next 200m but at the 1400m mark, my legs turned to jelly and it was soon apparent that there was not going to be a sub 10 today. I finished it off with a honest but controlled second half taking care not to flog myself and set back my recovery ahead of Friday's race.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Does this mean you are going to flog yourself in the 10k? At the risk of sounding sacrilegious its kind of fitting when you think its Good Friday :-)