Thursday, April 19, 2007

Brisbane Half - Target Sub 83

Wed - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 4:50 mins/km
Thurs - 30 secs on/off

Yesterday's midweek taper run with Glenda, Mel, Beth and Azza was marred by a major bonk at the 20 minute mark as we crossed the Story Bridge as nine days of detoxing finally took its toll on my energy levels. I had to slow down to a walk for a few minutes and have some water but I recovered quickly enough and was able to keep up with the others when we met up again.

This morning, we were in the Gardens for a session of 30 on, 30 offs and with the Brissy Half a few days a way and the legs just a little tired, I just took it easy for most of the session running at 70-80% intensity for the surges and jogging easily for the rest of the time. Got the HR up with two surges at top speed in the middle of the session.

Pat has set me an A goal of sub 83 and a B goal of sub 84. I think the A goal is a fair reflection of where I'm at right now. So the plan is to be sensible the first k and then settle into 3:56 pace just in front of Glenda leading her 84 min pace group. I'll churn out these splits to the 16k and if I'm feeling strong at this point, then I'll try and bring home the last 5k's at 3:45 pace to dip under 82 minutes. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Go Matty! You can do it mate :-)

Superflake said...

Good luck Matt. Hope you get the 82:xx.