Thursday, March 29, 2007

Frustratingly slow recovery

Thurs - 37 mins, 7k's @ about 5:15 mins/km

I was hoping to be back on the road yesterday morning for a recovery run and then do an easy 90 min midweek long run this morning. Alas, it was not to be as I've taken longer to recover from the cold than expected. I finally got out this morning and did a slow 7k's with two 3-5 min walking breaks in the middle of it. The cardio system is fine - my body is still very weak. A disappointing morning concluded ironically with a bird flying overhead and dropping shit on the peak of my cap as I walked forlornly back to my car.

Am hoping that I can recover enough to produce a half decent effort at speedwork tomorrow morning, especially with a time trial looming. That's two months in a row where I've had a hiccup in the week prior to the time trial! All going well, I'll do speedwork tomorrow along with an easy 50 minutes on Sat AM and Sunday's 2hr 40 mins to give me 55k's for the week. I'm resigned to the possibility that the ITB probs and now this hiccup will cost me a little bit of time in the Brisbane Half Marathon but fortunately won't cost me in the longer run to the Gold Coast.

While my mysterious run of several colds in the first half of last year seems to be behind me, I'm still wary of a repeat and will take every precaution to avoid a recurrence. After three or four consecutive years of getting a flu jab, I'm toying with the idea of not getting one this year. Its also been almost 10 months since my first detox last year that produced a good run of health afterward. As such, I'm leaning towards doing a 10 day detox right after the Easter Egg 10k next Friday - I just need to work out how to get through a long run without GU!! Nuts and sultanas, anyone?

1 comment:

Tesso said...

So will these gu-free runs be on a totally empty stomach ie no brekky?

With my fuel free long runs I find that after around 2 hours or so I feel like something but just force myself to run through it. I wonder if sometimes its psychological.


PS I usually carry gels or jelly beans or money for Powerade just in case :)