Thursday, April 05, 2007

Doubtful starter for Easter Egg 10k

Wed - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 4:50 mins/km
Thurs - 40 mins, 8k's @ 5:05 mins/km


I'm still having trouble completely shaking off the remnants of my flu last week and now seemed to have picked up a runny nose and watery eyes. The DOMS from Tuesday's time trial still hasn't gone away confirming that my body is currently less than 100% - lets call it about 80%. I got through my last two training sessions well enough and my legs can handle the slower staff just fine at the moment, but I don't yet have the strength for fast running and barring a massive improvement over the next 15 hours, I'm resigned to being a late scratching for the Easter Egg 10k tomorrow morning.

I emailed Pat this morning and he reiterated that the race should be an all or nothing affair for me and quite frankly I agree. I don't really see the point in fronting up at less than 100% and running a gutsy 38 or 39 minutes necessitating a couple of days recovery when I could do an easy 90 minute run instead and continue get over the cold and improve my endurance leading up to the Coast.It helps that I know I already have the 10k speed and the pain threshold to run a Sub-3 Marathon and I don't need to run the Easter 10k to prove that to myself. Its endurance I need and I'm sure I'll get that in the next 13 weeks.
Should be an intersting morning tomorrow assessing my condition when I get up.

1 comment:

mike said...

And here I was hoping you would pace me...